Apache IP vs. Name based virtual servers

Apache IP vs. Name based virtual servers

Post by Gardiner Leveret » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 00:31:48

I have a dilemma:

I'm planning on installing Apache using virtual servers
(that may be 100 or more), and I don't know which way
is any better than the other: ip based or named based.

I've read that ip based isn't desireable because of the
ip's that have to be used, but that is not a concern.
We can get several class C's without a problem.  For
name based to work, the DNS has to be correct, and that
cost is a dns lookup (but the lookup will be to the local
machine which will be primary for all of the domains used).

I'm really trying to find out if there is any know
performance issues that make either approach worse than
the other.

Anyone have experience with one or the other and found issues
with the way they chose?

----------

Merit Network, Inc.                     Phone: 734-647-9888
4251 Plymouth Road, Suite 2000          Ann Arbor, MI  48105-2785
                        http://www.merit.edu

Post by Ralph Sna » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 08:32:46

>I'm really trying to find out if there is any know
>performance issues that make either approach worse than
>the other.

if you have 50 virtual hosts and you need to move networks
or boxes or whatever, you will have to renumber 50 ip's,
which is a drag.

i like the one-ip-per-physical-box thing myself.  the dns
issue is a nonstarter - people, unless they are very
strange, are not going to access your sites by number.

-jsd-

Apache IP vs. Name based virtual servers

Post by Miquel van Smoorenbu » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 20:55:51

Quote:>I'm planning on installing Apache using virtual servers
>(that may be 100 or more), and I don't know which way
>is any better than the other: ip based or named based.

>I've read that ip based isn't desireable because of the
>ip's that have to be used, but that is not a concern.
>We can get several class C's without a problem.

WIthout a problem for you, but saving IP space is good for the
'net as a whole.

Quote:>For
>name based to work, the DNS has to be correct, and that
>cost is a dns lookup (but the lookup will be to the local
>machine which will be primary for all of the domains used).

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. The DNS has to be correct
anyway; if www.whatever.com cannot be resolved, the browser of
the enduser cannot connect to the webserver at all.

There is no extra DNS lookup for namebased or ip based virtual
hosts that I know of. The name based hosts use the value from
the Host: header that every browser sends along. The value of
that header is not resolved, but compared to ServerName directly.

Quote:>I'm really trying to find out if there is any know
>performance issues that make either approach worse than
>the other.

There's no performance difference. These days, IP based vhosting
is only done for protocols that cannot do name based vhosting.
Usually that means FTP and HTTPS (Note the 'S')

Mike.
--
Move sig.

1. Name-based vs IP based virtual hosts

This is a question those of you supporting ISP/CSP environments.

In reading documentation on the Web and the Apache book, it seems that
name-bases virtual host are the recommended way to manage VH, over
IP-based VH for obvious reasons. The only real reason to use IP-based VH
is for backward compatibility with older clients not supporting HTTP
1.1.  Even this can be worked around using the ServerPath directive.

In practice, are Name-base VH used more often than IP-based?  Are people
really not managing VH using the IP based method anymore? Phasing it
out?

Thanks,

Alfonso Fonseca

2. RED HAT or Slackware, Which should I install?

3. Mixing IP-based and name-based virtual hosts?

4. Serial port interfering with monitor/video card?

5. Can IP-based and Name-Based Virtual Hosting coexist

6. Debian 2.1 on Alpha

7. Setting up IP-based and Name-based virtual hosting side by side...

8. PPP 2.3.5 and conecting to ibm.net pap-secrets question

9. name based vi IP based virtual hosts

10. Apache 1.3.9/SSL multiple name and IP based virtual hosts

11. apache name based virtual server ~50%

12. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

13. Name base Virtual Server - Apache: Help..