PDF problems with Apache 1.3.14

Post by Mark ??;-\ » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 10:31:19

When trying to open a PDF file hosted on a Unix server running Apache 1.3.14
using Internet Explorer the first page will be displayed, but if you try to
scroll through the rest of the pages it will lock up IE and Acrobat is using
80%+ of the CPU.  When trying to open the same file using IIS on an NT
server there were no problems downloading and scrolling through pages.  I
also loaded the PDF onto another Unix server, this one running Apache 1.3.1
and had no problems loading the PDF and scrolling through the pages.  Is
there something simple that I am overlooking here?  Any ideas?

Any help is appreciated.
-Mark

Post by Alois 'Louis' Hopfe » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 18:51:25

> When trying to open a PDF file hosted on a Unix server running Apache
> 1.3.14 using Internet Explorer the first page will be displayed, but if
> you try to scroll through the rest of the pages it will lock up IE and
> Acrobat is using
> 80%+ of the CPU.  When trying to open the same file using IIS on an NT
> server there were no problems downloading and scrolling through pages.  I
> also loaded the PDF onto another Unix server, this one running Apache
> 1.3.1
> and had no problems loading the PDF and scrolling through the pages.  Is
> there something simple that I am overlooking here?  Any ideas?

We have the same problem here with som servers running Apache 1.3.14.
There are no Problems with Acrobat Readers under Linux, (the file will
be delivered at once, the access log shows an 200 Code), with the
acrobat reader under Windows the file will be delivered partialy (a
206 code for each page). I don`t know if this is a bug in the windows
acrobat reader oder in the apache.

We dont have the Problems with 1.3.12.

--- Louis ---

PDF problems with Apache 1.3.14

Post by Dan Wilg » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 00:49:40

Quote:> When trying to open a PDF file hosted on a Unix server running Apache 1.3.14
> using Internet Explorer the first page will be displayed, but if you try to
> scroll through the rest of the pages it will lock up IE and Acrobat is using
> 80%+ of the CPU.  When trying to open the same file using IIS on an NT
> server there were no problems downloading and scrolling through pages.  I
> also loaded the PDF onto another Unix server, this one running Apache 1.3.1
> and had no problems loading the PDF and scrolling through the pages.  Is
> there something simple that I am overlooking here?  Any ideas?

This is a known problem in Apache 1.3.14. The easiest fix is to upgrade to the
latest version.

--

** Remove the -MUNGE in my address to reply **

PDF problems with Apache 1.3.14

Post by Mark ??;-\ » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:53:38

fix is to upgrade to the

Quote:> latest version.

I took your advise and upgrade the server to 1.3.20, but during testing a
strange new problem came up.  This particular server is running multiple
Apache instances started from the same HTTPD binary.  The instance on port
7500 loads PDF files without problems, the instance on port 7600 will not
open most of the PDF files and the few that do open up are freezing the
browser if you try and scroll through them.  Any Ideas?
Thanks,
-Mark

PDF problems with Apache 1.3.14

Post by Mark ??;-\ » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:13:41

Never Mind.  Just realized that the instance on 7600 was still running the
old binary.  A simple reboot was all that was needed.  Problem Solved.  Like
always the Unix newsgroups are awesome.
-Mark

1. apache 1.3.14 -problem serving .pdf files

Has anyone noticed problems with Apache 1.3.14 serving .pdf files within a
browser?

We have 1.3.9 and 1.3.14 running on separate Solaris 2.7 boxes. We have no
problem with the Acrobat pages served by 1.3.9 but those served by 1.3.14
will not work correctly when requested by IE5 on a Windows 2000 box. All
pertinent configuration lines seem to be identical between the two servers.

No trouble for us to revert back to 1.3.9 but I'm anxious to isolate the
problem.

TIA.

--
Kevin McCarthy - Senior Web Developer

2. aix-digest V3 #490

3. PDF fails on Apache 1.3.14

4. Q: umsdos installation

5. Apache 1.3.14 and byteserving for PDF

6. Problem with 3c905B nic

7. byteserving a PDF file with Apache 1.3.14

8. IBM RISC 6000 G-30

9. Formmail and PDF's don't work on 1.3.14

10. PDF troubles with upgrade to 1.3.14

11. Apache 1.3.14 / Netware Perl/CGI PROBLEM, Please help!

12. apache 1.3.14 - rewrite problem?

13. Apache SCRIPT_NAME problem after upgrade 1.3.14 - 1.3.22