Apache on Solaris 2.5: won't run properly

Apache on Solaris 2.5: won't run properly

Post by Toni van de Wie » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I compiled Apache 1.2b7 and PHP/FI 2.0b10 on Solaris 2.5.
Compilation went ok, and the server seems to run ok as well.
However, every now and then a request to the server is not honored. The
connection just seems to hang. The browser is in the busy state and one of
the Apache processes has a socket open to the browser, but no data is
transmitted.
Any ideas?

Maybe related to this: I'm running a selfwritten client application from with
the PHP/FI module that comunicates with a server-process on the same machine.
This client opens a socket to the server and starts talking to it. The first
transmit from client to server works fine, but after a transmit from server
to client, every receive in the server gets a copy of the last byte
transmitted by the server.

thanx for any info
++toni;
--
Toni van de Wiel

Apache on Solaris 2.5: won't run properly

Post by sj » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I compiled Apache 1.2b7 and PHP/FI 2.0b10 on Solaris 2.5.
>Compilation went ok, and the server seems to run ok as well.
>However, every now and then a request to the server is not honored. The
>connection just seems to hang. The browser is in the busy state and one of
>the Apache processes has a socket open to the browser, but no data is
>transmitted.
>Any ideas?

   I am finding the same thing.  I am running Apache 1.2b7 on
Solaris 2.3 (yes I know that is really old).  What is worse for me
is that if I do a 'kill -HUP pid' to get it to restart httpd, it
crashes my box with a kernel panic!  Ouch!

   As yet, I am still bewildered why it is doing this, whether running
as root listening to port 80 or as a regular user on port 8080...
--
-- Steve McCarthy                          Author RightOn 2.4 for Windows

                                   http://www.halcyon.com/sjm/righton.html
Current wind and temp at my house: http://www.halcyon.com/sjm/wx/latest.shtml

Post by Marc Slemk » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>>I compiled Apache 1.2b7 and PHP/FI 2.0b10 on Solaris 2.5.
>>Compilation went ok, and the server seems to run ok as well.
>>However, every now and then a request to the server is not honored. The
>>connection just seems to hang. The browser is in the busy state and one of
>>the Apache processes has a socket open to the browser, but no data is
>>transmitted.
>>Any ideas?
>   I am finding the same thing.  I am running Apache 1.2b7 on
>Solaris 2.3 (yes I know that is really old).  What is worse for me
>is that if I do a 'kill -HUP pid' to get it to restart httpd, it
>crashes my box with a kernel panic!  Ouch!
>   As yet, I am still bewildered why it is doing this, whether running
>as root listening to port 80 or as a regular user on port 8080...

I would put my money on various Solaris networking bugs.  You may
be able to find patches for 2.3, but I don't know offhand.

1. Apache 1.1.1 won't start up under Solaris 2.5 (setgid problem?)

 I have just built Apache 1.1.1 on a Solaris 2.5 machine.

However, when I try to start it up with the standard command

/usr/local/etc/apache/src/httpd -f /usr/local/etc/apache/conf/httdp.conf

it fails. The error log file reports
[
setgid: Invalid argument
- unable to set group id

This was after a default installation. The only lines edited in the default
Configuration file were the ones referring specifically to Solaris 2, which
I uncommented:

# For Solaris 2.
AUX_CFLAGS= -DSOLARIS2
AUX_LIBS= -lsocket -lnsl

I got the same result whether compiling with gcc or the Sun C compiler.

It seems somehow that group_id is not being set properly, because when, in
http_main.c, I replaced the lines:

    if (setgid(group_id) == -1) {
        log_unixerr("setgid", NULL, "unable to set group id", server_conf);
        exit (1);
    }
with

    if (setgid(60001) == -1) {
        log_unixerr("setgid", NULL, "unable to set group id", server_conf);
        exit (1);
    }
and rebuilt, httpd started up fine and stayed up.

But this is a horrible brute-force hack. Does anyone have a proper solution to this?

Thanks,
              Kevin Richardson

2. Where to find Ingres bins?

3. Solaris 2.5 ---> Solaris 2.6 -- won't let me upgrade

4. i810 + TV-out w/XF86

5. Help: DOOM won't run properly

6. GNU make and #ifdef

7. CRON won't run executable properly

8. paralell zip: mounting?

9. Cron won't run my script properly, is this a PATH problem?

10. Solaris 2.5: Apple Laserwriter Postscript won't print.

11. Solaris 2.5 won't render extra Type-1 fonts

12. Sparc1 won't boot Solaris 2.5 after patches

13. How to Get 3COm 3C595TX NIC to work properly on Solaris 2.5 x86