Apache 1.2b10: problem with some browsers and POST method

Apache 1.2b10: problem with some browsers and POST method

Post by Dean Karr » Sun, 10 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

We are running Apache 1.2b10 on a BSDOS pentium class box.  There is a
cgi script that is being called from an html file in a  directory that
is defined in a <Location> block:

    <Location /place/>
        order deny,allow
        deny from all
        allow from .domain.com
    </Location>

The html file defines a simple, two input field form that is passed
through the script.  This works for about 99.99% of our customers and
has for about two years.  It does not work for about three of them
though.  This group of folks are getting the message

    Method Not Allowed

    The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL
    /place/cgi-bin/script.

I have tried putting a <Limit> block in there to perhaps force a POST
but that does not work.

This failes with the following browsers:

Lynx Version 2-4-2            running on BSDOS 2.1
IBM Web Explorer version 1.1h running on OS/2 Warp 3.00 Revision 8.162
IBM Web Explorer version 1.2  running on OS/2 Warp 4.00

The user with OS/2 claims that the page was working for him up until
last Monday at noon.  We made no changes to the server code,
configuration or the cgi code that day.  I am stumped.

Any ideas?
--
Dean Karres               | http://www2.southwind.net/~karres

Southwind Internet Access | Programmer / Systems Administrator
Wichita, KS               | <Troll 2nd Class /w Clusters>

Apache 1.2b10: problem with some browsers and POST method

Post by Marc Slemk » Sun, 10 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Upgrade to 1.2.1.  (no reason to suspect that is a solution, only
that 1.2b10 is a beta version)

What does the error log show?

Examine the sequence of hits from a client that works and compare
them with a client that doesn't.  Do you see any differences?  Pay
particular attention to the methods recorded in the access log.

Does the CGI script issue a redirect via a Location: header?  Is
the script supposed to be accessed with a GET or a POST?

To comment further I would need specific names and examples from
the log file (both access and error logs), showing both successful
and failed attempts.

Quote:>Hi,
>We are running Apache 1.2b10 on a BSDOS pentium class box.  There is a
>cgi script that is being called from an html file in a  directory that
>is defined in a <Location> block:
>    <Location /place/>
>        order deny,allow
>        deny from all
>        allow from .domain.com
>    </Location>
>The html file defines a simple, two input field form that is passed
>through the script.  This works for about 99.99% of our customers and
>has for about two years.  It does not work for about three of them
>though.  This group of folks are getting the message
>    Method Not Allowed
>    The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL
>    /place/cgi-bin/script.
>I have tried putting a <Limit> block in there to perhaps force a POST
>but that does not work.
>This failes with the following browsers:
>Lynx Version 2-4-2            running on BSDOS 2.1
>IBM Web Explorer version 1.1h running on OS/2 Warp 3.00 Revision 8.162
>IBM Web Explorer version 1.2  running on OS/2 Warp 4.00
>The user with OS/2 claims that the page was working for him up until
>last Monday at noon.  We made no changes to the server code,
>configuration or the cgi code that day.  I am stumped.
>Any ideas?

1. Apache Problem: Method POST Method Not Implemented

I realize that this problem is not strictly a Linux problem; if there is a
more appropriate place to post this query, please let me know (by email).

I have Apache 1.0.0 installed on Slackware 2.0.27 and I can't get my
server to implement a POST Method request from my pages.  I have set the
access.conf file appropriately, I think, thusly:

<Limit GET POST>
order allow,deny
allow for all
</Limit>

GET requests are implemented.  But when a POST request is made from a
page (further down the directory tree from cgi-bin which has the above
access settings) I get, to paraphrase,

                         Method Not Implemented

POST to /var/lib/......../somescript.cgi not supported

The script, "somescript.cgi", works because it is used to get to the page
that tries to make the above POST request.

Is there something else besides the access.conf file that I might have
overlooked?  Is the POST method not normally compiled in?  My Slackware
comes off a commercial CD so I would have thought that it would have the
most common methods already operational.

I have already studied the www.apache.org online documentation but I
did not see anything that addressed this problem other than the discussion
on access.conf file.

Offers of help leading to a resolution of the problem will be rewarded
with 10 cybercookies.

Conrad Richter

2. Boot loaders

3. Problem with method POST for Web-server(MS PWS and Apache)

4. inital console

5. Apache "Post to xxx.pl not supported"/Method not implemented problem

6. Windows Bashing. C.O.L.A is tame.

7. Apache .htaccess and POST method problems

8. test

9. Problem with method POST for Web-server(MS PWS and Apache)

10. Apache: "Post: Method not implemented"...

11. Apache 1.2.1 and Method POST

12. Apache+Perl: Why METHOD POST is that extrem slow since I switched from NT4 to W2K?

13. Apache Module: For Post reading method