Multiple instances of Apache

Post by Graham Legget » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have configured Apache such that multiple servers get started up.

However, when I check the process list, there is only ever one instance
of httpd, regardless of how busy the site is.

The site runs 10 virtual hosts and runs as a development server, and is
quite busy.

Any reason why this should be so?

Regards,
Graham

Post by Giovanni garga » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>Hi all,

>I have configured Apache such that multiple servers get started up.

>However, when I check the process list, there is only ever one instance
>of httpd, regardless of how busy the site is.

Don't flame me, buthave you tried ps -aux (on Linux) or ps -efl (on
Solaris)? Child processes run under a different userid than main
(usually, main is root, child not)

http://www.aspide.it/freeweb/africa

Post by Graham Legget » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Don't flame me, buthave you tried ps -aux (on Linux) or ps -efl (on
> Solaris)? Child processes run under a different userid than main
> (usually, main is root, child not)

This was the trick - yes. It seems that in previous versions of apache
the children came up as root processes, dunno why.

Thanks :)

Regards,
Graham

1. Multiple Instances of Apache

Is it possible to run multiple instances of apache to have web servers on
two different ports?

If there is a better way to do this, please let me know.

What we're doing is running a help desk server software on a non-standard
port with the documentroot configured as the helpdesk server software, and
we also want to run a web-based pager software off of the same box but run
it on standard port 80.

Suggestions and info appreciated!

-Andy-

2. Help with a Serial Terminal Setup?

3. Multiple instances in Apache possible ? (not virtual servers)

4. Proof: MS Dislikes Standards

5. Multiple Instances of Apache

6. Kernel Panic: VFS: can not mount root device at 08:06

7. Running multiple instances of Apache on a Linux box?

8. Load Balancing with Multi-path Routes

9. Zebra: Multiple instances and routing between instances?

10. Multiple instances of httpd (apache)??

11. Apache with multiple instances of webserver

12. debian packages for multiple apache instances?

13. Solution: multiple Apache log files, multiple args to env=, multiple conditions to CustomLog directive