$user= $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}; returns NULL

$user= $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}; returns NULL

Post by E Mills, software scientis » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have 2 distinct passwd files, and two distinct directories protected
with .htaccess files. One .htaccess uses pass1, and the other uses
pass2. In both directories, it authenticates uses properly. The odd
thing is, for one the directories,

        $user= $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'};

returns the username entered, but for the other, it returns NULL, even
though both authenticate. Any ideas?

$user= $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}; returns NULL

Post by Ron Klatchk » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have 2 distinct passwd files, and two distinct directories protected
> with .htaccess files. One .htaccess uses pass1, and the other uses
> pass2. In both directories, it authenticates uses properly. The odd
> thing is, for one the directories,

>         $user= $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'};

> returns the username entered, but for the other, it returns NULL, even
> though both authenticate. Any ideas?

One common problem is having an HTML page requiring authentication and
referring to a CGI that does not.

moo
              Ron Klatchko - Senior Software Engineer

1. Apache/CGI: $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} and POST

If I POST to a CGI script it seems that the above environment variable is not
available (Apache 1.3.1 on Linux, however, have seen this also on older
Apache and BSDI). It's only available if I execute a script directly.

I assume this is not a bug?
So, what's the reason and is there any way to catch it, anyway?

Kai

--

Kai Sch?tzl, Berlin, Germany
ClubWin - Help for Windows Users: http://www.clubwin.com

2. Blast Win95...

3. Help with APACHE and $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}

4. SPARCCENTER 2000 rogered

5. ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}

6. V-Hosting: Creating one log for all sites then breaking them apart via cron

7. browser not returning $ENV{REMOTE_USER}

8. static libstdc++.so.5

9. rsh machine -n 'command >&/dev/null </dev/null &'

10. Help with 'user', 'w', 'who' commands

11. ext2/3 bugfix 2/6: readdir() needs to return '.' and '..'

12. pd-ksh/zsh won't inherit '747=jet' env var?

13. Setting 'REMOTE_USER' from Apache server