My host's tech support is no help

Post by johndank » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 06:26:17

Hello, all.

I've recently changed hosts and nearly everything went smoothly,
except for my error-reporting program.

While I program in Perl & others, I know little about Unix & my host's
tech support is no help, they don't appear to know what I'm talking
about.

I use the ErrorDocument command in an .htaccess file so when a user
encounters an error on my site, I'm sent the environmental variables
by an error recording script I wrote.  For this host, though, it seems
as if a redirect occurs, so that the REDIRECT_STATUS is 200, instead
of 403, 404 or 500 (and the address in the browser window changes to
that of my error-recording script, instead of staying at the offending
address).  The remaining environmental variables are useless, too.
Here are the variables that I get, with some added comments, plus I'm
blocking out the name of my script (it does, after all, send me an
email):

SERVER_SOFTWARE->Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2510
mod_ssl/2.8.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6g
GATEWAY_INTERFACE->CGI/1.1
DOCUMENT_ROOT->/www/j/johndankey/htdocs
REDIRECT_nokeepalive->1
REMOTE_ADDR->208.8.144.180
REQUEST_METHOD->GET
ALIAS->/www/j/johndankey/htdocs/subdomain/artkaleidoscopic/public/scripts/[error-recording
script name here]
QUERY_STRING->
REDIRECT_force_response_1_0->1
HTTP_ACCEPT->*/*
REMOTE_PORT->1321
SERVER_ADDR->63.251.216.76
ssl_unclean_shutdown->1
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE->en-us
nokeepalive->1
REDIRECT_UNIQUE_ID->Pp2Yw48AAAEAAD4Wba
SCRIPT_FILENAME->/www/j/johndankey/htdocs/subdomain/artkaleidoscopic/public/scripts/[error-recording
script name here]
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING->gzip, deflate
REDIRECT_STATUS->200
SERVER_NAME->artkaleidoscopic.com
SERVER_PORT->80

REDIRECT_ssl_unclean_shutdown->1
UNIQUE_ID->Pp2Yw38AAAEAAD4Wba4
REDIRECT_URL->/scripts/[error-recording script name here][_should_ be
the location of the offending page/script!]
SERVER_SIGNATURE->
SERVER_PROTOCOL->HTTP/1.1
REDIRE! CT_downgrade_1_0->1
HTTP_USER_AGENT->Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
Q312461)
PATH->/etc:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
HTTP_CONNECTION->Keep-Alive
SCRIPT_NAME->/subdomain/artkaleidoscopic/public/scripts/[error-recording
script name here]
REQUEST_URI->/scripts/[error-recording script name here][_should_ be
the location of the offending page/script!]
downgrade_1_0->1
force_response_1_0->1
HTTP_HOST->artkaleidoscopic.com

Do any of you know what is wrong?  Could it be because my host uses
CGIWrap?  Is there any way that I, the user, could work around this
difficulty?

Thanks in advance,

John-Dan
The email address above is only for spam!
Please post in the group or
copy the url in the brackets into your browser:
[http://creativenow.com/cgi-bin/mail.cgi?artist_name=John Dan Key
(Artist)]