ncsa virtual server question

Post by Hank L » Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi there,

My department server is using httpd 1.5.1 and we have the usual set up, where
the main host name is as

        www.deptname.ucla.edu

and my own group page is located such that we access it by

        www.deptname.ucla.edu/~groupname

Recently I requested the administrator to set-up a virtual address so my group
has the adress

        www.groupname.ucla.edu

The administrator also gave it aliases with names as groupname.ucla.edu

My question is that is there a way to configure it so that no matter which url
request you send it (any pages within www.deptname.ucla.edu/~groupname, or
groupname.ucla.edu) it will always jump to the corresponding pages but with
the main www.groupname.ucla.edu shown? I could use meta refresh in my page and
redirect all request to www.groupname.ucla.edu but some pages takes too long
to reload when redirected.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Hank

1. ncsa virtual servers (how?)

I'm running NCSA httpd 1.5.2 on a couple of systems (hpux 10.10 and
Apollo 10.0.4.11) and have equal lack of success getting virtual
servers to work on them.

What I'm trying to do is to have one system with two 'names',
each with individual document roots (and potentially policies)
yet only one TCP/IP address and two DNS aliases.

The problem is that no matter what I do, both 'virtual' hosts
come up with the 1st one's document root that I show in
httpd.conf.

I checked and both the HP and Apollo work fine with having two
physical interfaces with a different virtual server on each
interface.  I just can't get the two servers to work on the
*same* interface.

Any help would be appreciated regarding posting pieces of
known-good NCSA (not Apache!) httpd.conf or other files.
At this time, I need to stick with NCSA 1.5.2.

#---- from http.conf-----
#
# this is the first hostname we'll be known as
#
<VirtualHost junkhost.mydomain.com Required>
DocumentRoot /www/junkhost
ServerName junkhost.mydomain.com
ResourceConfig conf/junkhost_srm.conf
</VirtualHost>
#
# this is the second hostname we'll be known as
#
<VirtualHost othername.mydomain.com Required>
DocumentRoot /www/othername
ServerName othername.mydomain.com
ResourceConfig conf/othername_srm.conf
</VirtualHost>

And the two srm.conf files pointed to from httpd.conf
specify different doc roots.

Any help would be appreciated...
--

  Just because you can do it doesn't mean you can do it for a living.
                                - Warner's First Law of Talent

2. GhostScript + Laserjet III?

3. virtual server with NCSA httpd1.5

4. Does/could Xarchie for term exist?

5. NCSA HTTP Server with Virtual Host Patch

6. bash .profile portability

7. apache 2.x, php, virtual / non virtual websites and running under restricted server id questions

8. about the tuning of eepro100

9. Enterprise Server Virtual Servers Question

10. question:Netscape Server & virtual servers

11. NCSA HTTPd NCSA/1.5.0a CGI question

12. Can NCSA HTTP server be set up as Proxy Server and Web server?

13. NCSA WWW Server Security Questions