Apache and the Browser User

Post by j.s. » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

When a user logs onto an Apache web site with a browser (IE, NetScape,Etc),
by what mechanism does the server get the users ISP name login name, etc.
And can apache be configured to return this information. What is it that
give me (anyone) away to the server.??????? Or, looked at another way. What
does my ISP do to prvent my information from being sent to the apache
server??????

Thanks
Jeff

Apache and the Browser User

Post by Raj Dut » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Your browser is not aware of your ISP login name.
The only things that the httpd (webserver) such as apache can glean are
:

        * Browser type / version
        * Your IP address (which it could resolve into a hostname)

Best Regards,
        Raj Dutt
        Voxel Dot Net, Inc

Apache and the Browser User

Post by Dan Wil » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> OK, how do the web sites come back with other information, name, state, etc.
> Do cookies do that?

This will usually be from information that has been previously stored in a
cookie, yes.

** Remove the REMOVE in my address address to reply reply  **

Apache and the Browser User

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> OK, how do the web sites come back with other information, name, state, etc.

All sorts of tricky and unreliable ways.  Or ask.

Quote:> Do cookies do that?

Not in themselves, no.  If the user has supplied the information before,
and the server has retained it in a cookie-indexed database, then a
cookie can enable the server to look it up again.  But they can't create
information out of nothing.

Apache and the Browser User

Post by Reinier Pos » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Your browser is not aware of your ISP login name.

It can, however, be configured to try and fetch it, if your machine is
running an ident server to provide it.  (Unix systems often do.)
This is very slow (particularly if you machine isn't running any such
service) and unreliable (you may be running the service and use it to lie
about your username).  The $REMOTE_USER CGI variable would return this
username to CGI scripts.

--
Reinier