Upload from NS Gold -> UPPER-Case filesnames?

Upload from NS Gold -> UPPER-Case filesnames?

Post by Wartung Infosyste » Fri, 25 Oct 1996 04:00:00

If a user 'publishes' a file from Netscape Gold 3.0 Win3.11, via FTP,
then the filename is converted into uppercase letters.
Does anybody know a solution or where to find one in the net?

Please answer by email.

Marcus

Post by Michael Salmo » Sat, 26 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> If a user 'publishes' a file from Netscape Gold 3.0 Win3.11, via FTP,
> then the filename is converted into uppercase letters.
> Does anybody know a solution or where to find one in the net?

I believe that this is a restriction of the underlying :^) OS, W95
capitalizes the first letter. Sadly this has lead to my using ftp
instead.

--
? 1995,1996 Michael Salmon
All opinions expressed in this article remain the property of

1. CONVERTING lower-case to upper-case filenames?

        I'm transfering >50 megs of files from my flakey DOS machine to my
Linux machine over a serial line using zmodem. The flakey DOS machine crashes
every so often, so I need to use the crash-recovery features of zmodem.

        Unfortunately, DSZ on the DOS machine only sends upper-case
filenames, while RZ on the Linux machine writes lower-case filenames.
This means that when DSZ checks to see what files are already written, it
only looks for upper-case filenames, and because it doesn't see anything
it re-writes the files that were uploaded previously.

        I imagine that there's a way to rename all of the files on the Linux
machine (about 1000 of them) using a script. Anyone know how to do this?
"sed" seems like the proper tool, but I can't find any good
documentation on it.

        Much thanks to anyone who can help.

| Mark A. Pitcher |
                                                            "GUH!" - Bill Leeb

2. autogenerating distfile

3. VI - Lower-case to Upper-case

4. More efficient diff algorithm

5. lower case <-> upper case

6. For All Computer Stores

7. Upper case --> lower case

8. ftp timeouts

9. samba and NT: no upper-case filenames

10. Upper-Case Filenames on CD-Rom

11. Slackware setup, mount and upper-case

12. AFPS Upper-case fix?

13. How do I translate all upper case to smart mixed case?