transfer-encoding??

Post by chiva » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:34:53

Hi there,
I am implement an HTTP web server.
I've come accross this transfer-encoding. I've read the rfc ( rfc2068
), but I couldn't understand it rightly.
can anyone elaborate something more on the transfer-encoding header
format.
Thank You.

transfer-encoding??

Post by Dave Patt » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 02:44:29

Quote:>Hi there,
>I am implement an HTTP web server.
>I've come accross this transfer-encoding. I've read the rfc ( rfc2068
>), but I couldn't understand it rightly.
>can anyone elaborate something more on the transfer-encoding header
>format.
>Thank You.

RFC2068 is obsolete. You should be using RFC2616:
<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/>

-----------
Dave Patton

1. Transfer-Encoding: chuunked AND Content-Encoding: deflate

using zlib
http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/
and
http://www.winimage.com/zLibDll/

with HTTP/1.1
http://sunsite.auc.dk/RFC/rfc/rfc2616.html

I am attempting to send
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

(from a home-built web server)

to a client browser that has indicated its willingness to accept this:
HTTP HEADER FOLLOWS:
GET / HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, */*
Host: 127.0.0.1
Connection: Keep-Alive

Ive RFC'd myself and tested the component peices individually . successfully.
my interpretation of the RFC leads me to format my HTTP response as:

Headers
chunksize n
deflatedData
chunksize n
deflatedData
chunksize 0

where n is the size of the deflated data

I am applying this deflation to arbitrary mime types and
maintaining the original mime-type.

if i had a website to look at that DOES do this successfully
I could compare  the output to see what I am doing wrong.. or indeed if
my browser is not handling it properly.

Does my interpretation of the RFC as to the format of the chunked and compressed
output seem correct?

Thanks in advance..
-db-

2. BallPoint mouse

3. chunked Transfer-Encoding forbidden: /cgi-bin/echo.pl

4. Ignite Trouble

5. examples of Transfer-Encoding: chunked

6. how to connect to internet via lan

7. Apache 1.2.x and Transfer-Encoding

8. Linking problems with G++

9. Announcement- jigg R1 - Look Ahead Mezzianne with Transfer Encoding

10. Help - How to stop Netscape 4.61/Solaris 2.5.1 from sending "content-transfer-encoding: base64" news articles ?

11. Causes for "0" bytes transferred in the transfer log

12. "carriage return" and "line feed" encoding

13. Decoding MIME encoded material on UNIX, possible?