apache not starting, probable bug

Post by James Blac » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
  I have asked for assistance twice regarding my problem in not getting
apache httpd to start, and outside of two non-helpful replies (one was
actually very rude) I have heard nothing, so I will start to fix the
problem as though it is a bug, and report it as such.  My reasoning is
that there is no solution (lack of response) or no one cares to assist,
and I will go from the former, since I will get it working that way.

  I am writing this to let any developers here know that possibly next
week (this is a minor problem at the moment since I am currently using
Suitespot, from Netscape) I will send a bug report to the mailing list for
bug reports.

  Enjoy.

James Black (Comp Sci/Elec Eng Senior)

"A person might be able to play without being creative, but he sure
can't be creative without playing" Kurt Hanks & Jay Parry

apache not starting, probable bug

Post by WorfD » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Might help if :

Knew what version of apache was giving problems ( additions? php?
mod_perl? ssl? )

OS version and patch level / libgc / kernel ( solaris, redhat, debian,
nt )

*cc stats  ( gcc, ecgs, pcgs version? )

What is the nature of the problem? In explicit detail.

What procedures you attempted to correct this problem ( resources
used, rtfm's , faq's , bug reports of similar natures, web mirrored
list servs ). Did you search for similar problems on the Apache bug
report database for similar problems? For instance, I just searched
the PR bug database:

query-pr -i  --multitext="socket operation on non-socket"

and found 6 entries...

Haven't seen a psychic interface to usenet yet >;}~

If you haven't given out this info, it does make it near impossible to
offer any links, hints,  or sharing os similar experience.

OK, found your old post. Answered by Marc S.

Quote:>>Hello,
>>  When I try to start the apache demon I get the following in the error
>>log:
>>getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket
>>getsockname: Socket operation on non-socket
>>Error getting local address
>>  I am wondering what might be the reason. I will guess that I missed
>>something in the config file, but I don't know.
>Yea, you missed the point that you shouldn't arbitrarily change the
>ServerType directive without having any clue what it does.

What did you changes did you make in your ~/conf or ~/etc directory
regarding *.conf files to create this error?

Quote:>>  Also, does apache support javascript server-side includes?
>Erm... your question doesn't make much sense.

Server Side Includes don't have anything to do with javascript ( since
javascript is written in the html files or loaded as a *.js file which
is client dependant for this functionality ). You may want to take

<http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_include.html>

Quote:>>  How would I set up a restricted directory that will require
>>authentication before allowing access?
>You read the FAQ and/or the docs.

Back to the major rtfm paradigm in unix. If you pull attitude on
usenet, you are asking to be flamed. Take a good look at the bug
reporting requirements.

Take a look at how others post problem reports on usenet and note
their style. Maybe take a humble pill and try again. Or do your
homework and make a cognisant request next time around.

Here is an example:

Full text of PR number 2734: <http://bugs.apache.org/index/full/2734>

Date: 29 Jul 1998 09:19:02 -0000

Subject: Why i ma getting "getpeername: Socket operation on
non-socket" when i try to start httpd?

>Number:         2734
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Why am i getting "getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket" when i try to start httpd?
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          closed
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Jul 29 02:20:04 PDT 1998
>Last-Modified:  Wed Jul 29 09:47:49 PDT 1998

>Release:        1.2.5
>Environment:

BULL - AIX 4.1.4 - AIX jacinthe 1 4 000006166700 -
Quote:>Description:

When i try to start de server the following message appears.
/usr/local/apache/bin (root) >./httpd -d /usr/local/apache -f
conf/httpd.conf
getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket
getsockname: Socket operation on non-socket
Error getting local address

Quote:>How-To-Repeat:
>Fix:
>Audit-Trail:

State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
State-Changed-By: marc
State-Changed-When: Wed Jul 29 09:47:46 PDT 1998
State-Changed-Why:
You are getting it because you are unable
to read the docs or the FAQ and for some
unknown reason decided you had to change the ServerType
to inetd without knowing what it does.

<< That might be a clue to your problem if you did your homework, so
<< you probably tweaked your /etc/inetd.conf file or something like
<<  that, so then it ISN'T an Apache bug, but a DFU problem IMHO.

hastily wrote full of anger and frustration:

Quote:>Hello,
>  I have asked for assistance twice regarding my problem in not getting
>apache httpd to start, and outside of two non-helpful replies (one was
>actually very rude) I have heard nothing, so I will start to fix the
>problem as though it is a bug, and report it as such.  My reasoning is
>that there is no solution (lack of response) or no one cares to assist,
>and I will go from the former, since I will get it working that way.

Quote:>  I am writing this to let any developers here know that possibly next
>week (this is a minor problem at the moment since I am currently using
>Suitespot, from Netscape) I will send a bug report to the mailing list for
>bug reports.

>  Enjoy.

1. probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost"

Hi all,

this is my first post here. Sorry if it's in the wrong ng.

I've been having problems installing Linux on my system. Specifically, I get a
kernel message about once a second or so to the effect that there is a
"probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a
motherboard. kernel: probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration."

I've searched the net for days and found nothing other than that it's
supposedly harmless and affects all kernels from 2.2.19 to 2.4.x. It's also
supposed to be unrelated to actually having a VIA686a chipset (I don't).

Does anyone have any idea what causes it? Is it really a hardware bug or is it
a problem with the kernel? Is there any workaround? On SuSE 7.1 it's annoying
but tolerable, since all kernel messages go to a separate virtual terminal; on
debian 3.0 (testing) it's extremely annoying, since it's broadcast to all
virtual terminals.

Thanks in advance,

Richard Sembera.

2. Is this a proper use of LOFS - loopback virtual file system

3. Probable bug in ext2 file system

4. Synchronus audio record and playback.

5. Warning: Probable kernel bug with ide-scsi mode CDROM drives: readers and burners

6. windowmaker not reading .profile

7. "probable hardware bug"?

8. success at last w/ samba & masq

9. kernel error "probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a"

10. probable hardware bug: clock timer ... (Asus board)?!?

11. PROBABLE BUG IN MALLOC USING LINUXTHREADS ON A MANDRAKE LINUX WITH C++

12. A probable bug in the driver

13. probable hardware bug: clock timer ... (Asus board)?!?