Real Audio (was Re: Details on the CHMOD command)

Real Audio (was Re: Details on the CHMOD command)

Post by Richard Gre » Sat, 06 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Read the Fine Manual -- Real Audio files require the use of an additional
>text file, ending in .ram, which point to the .ra file -- it's an odd,
>inelegant system, but there ya have it.

Well, actually RealAudio seems to work fine with just the .RA file
executed.  The .RAM is only needed if you want to combine two or more .RA
files into a sequence.

If you find yourself spending large amounts of time using a Chat facility,
remind yourself that you are talking to the type of people who will spend
a large amount of time using a Chat facility.

Post by What Illuminatu » Sun, 07 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>>Read the Fine Manual -- Real Audio files require the use of an additional
>>text file, ending in .ram, which point to the .ra file -- it's an odd,
>>inelegant system, but there ya have it.

>Well, actually RealAudio seems to work fine with just the .RA file
>executed.  The .RAM is only needed if you want to combine two or more .RA
>files into a sequence.

RealAudio does work fine with just the .ra files. However, if you
reference *.ra directly, the browser downloads the entire audio file
before playing it, defeating the purpose of a RealAudio server. The *.ram
file tells the server (if you have one) to start streaming the file to
the client. This means that you get audio after 10 seconds, not a minute
or more, depending on the size.

Of course, if you don't have an RA server, the *.ram files are pointless,
since you can't stream the audio anyway.

-Josh

1. Details on the CHMOD command

I don't know if I'm posting this question in the right group... I like to
think I'm pretty knowledgable about computers (hey I can write batch files
and do multiple configuration bootups on 6.2 - old news, huh?), but I'm
completely lost when it comes to most Unix commands... and even more so on
setting up Web sites on servers.

Basically, I've luckily run into a free account at a local University, and
by placing the files I want on the Web into a directory called "html.pub"
others can view them.  But only if you assign every file to be viewed, with
the command:  chmod 755

Well, this all works fine with the html files and GIFs/JPGs etc, but if I
FTP any kind of binary on my site, and CHMOD it, then when someone tries to
access it through my homepage, they just get loads of text codes flying
down the screen.  Immediately I thought that I just wasn't uploading the
files in binary mode, but I checked and definitely am.  Besides, if I
wasn't, how comes the GIFs came through fine?  This problem doesn't allow
me to put any RA links on my site either, cause when you click on the .RA
file, it just comes up with more text codes.

So, does anyone know the CHMOD code I'm looking for to make the files
public access, AND allow binary files to get downloaded properly.

Sorry again if this was the wrong newsgroup to post to - I did download the
last 3 days of articles from it, but most questions went over my head.

If you find yourself spending large amounts of time using a Chat facility,
remind yourself that you are talking to the type of people who will spend
a large amount of time using a Chat facility.

2. Finding COM3 modem in Acer Extensa 392T

3. Real Audio from command line?

4. NEC NR-7500A CD-RW 8/4/32

5. Real Audio command line wwitches

6. Shockwave for Linux

7. Real Audio 3.0/Solaris - "Can't open audio device"

8. ATI Mach64 with ATI 264CT graphics controller and X-windows

9. chmod question; chmod a-x /bin/chmod?

10. Real Audio 3.0/Solaris - "Can't open audio device"

11. Is there a *REAL* mt command for AIX ( that returns real status! )

12. Looking For audio details fro HP 800 Series using HP UX 10,x

13. Real Time Clock not responding - Am I screwed??