IndexIgnore in .htaccess results in Internal Server Error (Apache)

IndexIgnore in .htaccess results in Internal Server Error (Apache)

Post by Scot » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:19:54

I'm sure that this is something that I'm not understanding correctly.
But I've been reviewing the newsgroups for hours without finding an
answer.

I have Apache 1.3.24 with the frontpage patch applied, php4, mod_perl,
and a dozen or so other mods running under RH7.2.

I have a virutal host set up which points to my user's public_html
directory.  Apache/FP for some reason occassionally overwrites the
.htaccess in that directory with a generic version that includes the
following line.

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

My problem is that having an IndexIgnore in the .htaccess file creates
an Internal Server Error.  If I comment out the line in the .htaccess
file it works fine.

In my httpd.conf file, I have the following directives of importance.

<Directory /home/*/public_html>
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
</Directory>
DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.shtml index.php index.php4
index.p hp3 index.phtml index.cgi
AccessFileName .htaccess
<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
    Satisfy All
</Files>
IndexOptions FancyIndexing NameWidth=*
ReadmeName README
HeaderName HEADER
IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* README* RCS CVS *,v *,t */_vti*

Can someone point me in a direction to either have Apache/FP stop
overwriting my .htaccess file, or tell me what I need to do to my
httpd.conf file so that I it doesn't create the conflict.

TIA
Scott

Post by Joshua Sliv » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 00:05:18

> I have a virutal host set up which points to my user's public_html
> directory.  Apache/FP for some reason occassionally overwrites the
> .htaccess in that directory with a generic version that includes the
> following line.
> IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*
> My problem is that having an IndexIgnore in the .htaccess file creates
> an Internal Server Error.  If I comment out the line in the .htaccess
> file it works fine.

You should always check the error log after seeing an internal server
error.

Quote:>     AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit

In this case, the error log will tell you something like "IndexIgnore
not allowed here".  The reason for this is that yoru AllowOverride
directive does not include "Indexes".  If you add "Indexes" to
AllowOverride, the problem should go away.

Of course, a better idea might be to get rid of that front page
garbage entirely.

--
Joshua Slive

IndexIgnore in .htaccess results in Internal Server Error (Apache)

Post by Scot » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:55:56

Bingo!

That fixed the problem.

I had seen the the message in error_log, but I must have forgotten the
"es" at the end of Indexes when I tried to solve the problem the first
time.

And believe me, if I could get rid of the frontpage, I would.
Unfortunately, it was given to me as a requirement to support. :(

Thanks again

1. Apache and INS

I'd like to find out if there are any known problems with Apache
serving up and INS file.  We are attempting to provide a solution
(using FreeBSD/Apache vs IIS/ASP) that will sniff the browser a user is
using and then if it is Internet Explorer send an INS file down that
will set a proxy.  We have had it work but only on one of four test
computers.  I want to make sure it is not an Apache thing since the
window lovers at work are pushing for us to use IIS (uggh).  Any help
would be appreciated.  Please cc your response to my email address at

William Cochran

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Unable to open initial...

3. what is a INS server?

4. system specs for media a/v streaming via web, help needed.

5. Errors compiling Wingz 1.4 Add-ins (Linux 1.3.99, GCC 2.6)

6. How to change the default window manager of the root !

7. Remote unix (RS/6000) servers with dial-ins

8. Black X Flickering Screen

9. setup.ins error when installing OO in 5.0-REL

10. IndexIgnore with .htaccess

11. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

13. Suse 7.0; Yast2, kinternet, rc.dialout und ich komme nicht ins Internet