How to increase stack limit for CGI Script

How to increase stack limit for CGI Script

Post by Rob Stewar » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I really need some help on this, any ideas, suggestions would be great.
I have a IRIX 6.2 running netscape enterprise 2.0 and when I run the a
search script from thunderstone it fails and the vortex log says :

 Resource limit too low: "STACK" = 1048576, want 2048000

I was later told by thunderstone

Quote:>Try setting the ULIMIT to a higher value like 10MB.

Okay using systune I looked up some things, the system kernel vars set
the stack to 65MB, and when I login as a regular user the ulimit reports
65MB. HOWEVER, my server is running as nobody, which has no shell so I
can't log in as him to see what his ulimit is. SO i built a cgi script
to report back the env ulimit and it say stack 1 MB, which we already
knew because vortex complained about that.

MY QUESTION is I can not figure out where to change the ulimit for a
cgi-script. I have searched every man page/ manual I can find. They all
point to the system kernel vars, which are set to 65MB. So some where,
some how the stack limit only for nobody and cgi scripts is getting set
to 1MB...

Does anybody know if this is a netscape thing or OS. I am really
baffled.

I am really stuck on this and of course life ending project hangs in
balance as always ....

Thanks in advance

Robert Stewart

1. Increasing stack size limit

Hi,
I'am trying to increase the stack limit for the user oracle.
I login as root and give the following command.

#ulimit -Ha
time(seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) unlimited
stack(kbytes) unlimited
coredump(blocks) unlimited
nofiles(descriptors) 1024
memory(kbytes) unlimited

#ulimit -Sa
time(seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) unlimited
stack(kbytes) 8192
coredump(blocks) unlimited
nofiles(descriptors) 256
memory(kbytes) unlimited

Then  i login as user oracle and give the command
$ulimit -Ha
time(seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) unlimited
stack(kbytes) 24576
coredump(blocks) unlimited
nofiles(descriptors) 1024
memory(kbytes) unlimited

$ulimit -Sa
time(seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) unlimited
stack(kbytes) 24576
coredump(blocks) unlimited
nofiles(descriptors) 256
memory(kbytes) unlimited

My questions are
1) How do i increase the stack size hard limit of user oracle to unlimited ?
2) How do i increase the stack size soft limit of user oracle to unlimited ?

Thanks for any replies in advance

2. Multiple Class C's and domain recognition.

3. How to increase the stack limit for a process?

4. Sco Mail -> reply only to originator

5. Increasing stack size hard limit ?

6. Modem Hangs up in terminal sessions

7. Limiting CPU time of CGI-BIN scripts

8. Running Java GUI apps over a remote login

9. Limited size ??? => CGI scripts

10. Memory limit for Apache cgi-scripts?

11. /cgi-bin/phf /cgi-bin/test-cgi /cgi-bin/handler

12. announce: cgi++ v2.0: a c++ library for cgi script handling

13. Perl CGI script gets CGI params as ARGV arguments under Apache2