NSCA: "Could not log pid to file httpd.pid"

NSCA: "Could not log pid to file httpd.pid"

Post by Martijn van Katwij » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

We're running 60+ domains on one Solaris system with NCSA. Since adding
the last domain, during startup NCSA says:
"Could not log pid to file httpd.pid" which means that this file isn't
writable. This isn't true, because after removing three domains (other
than the one I've added last) NCSA starts up beautifully. So then the
httpd.pid is writable again...

Has someone had the same experiences?

Martijn van Katwijk

NSCA: "Could not log pid to file httpd.pid"

Post by Mathieu Boi » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I don't see, but have you thought to check the following points ?
Did you check that the file system was not full (df -k .) ?
Or there may be a limit to the domains, so grep the source code (or the
configuration files ?) with the maximum number of working domains ?
If your filesystem where httpd.pid is were mounted by NFS, with no root
special access, it could explain a little, but if it works when you reduce the
number of domains, it's not that.

Hope it can help you or someone other...

Mathieu

Martijn van Katwijk a crit:

Quote:> Hi,

> We're running 60+ domains on one Solaris system with NCSA. Since adding
> the last domain, during startup NCSA says:
> "Could not log pid to file httpd.pid" which means that this file isn't
> writable. This isn't true, because after removing three domains (other
> than the one I've added last) NCSA starts up beautifully. So then the
> httpd.pid is writable again...

> Has someone had the same experiences?

> Martijn van Katwijk

NSCA: "Could not log pid to file httpd.pid"

Post by News Read » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>We're running 60+ domains on one Solaris system with NCSA. Since adding
>the last domain, during startup NCSA says:
>"Could not log pid to file httpd.pid" which means that this file isn't
>writable. This isn't true, because after removing three domains (other
>than the one I've added last) NCSA starts up beautifully. So then the
>httpd.pid is writable again...

>Has someone had the same experiences?

Out of file descriptors that are under 255 would you believe?  Sun's stdio
routines cannot handle file descriptors over 255.  Try using a single log
file for all domains.

-- mikeh AT mindspring.net

1. Appache : can not log pid to httpd.pid

Hello Everyone!

        I am using Appache 0.8.14 on linux. When I start the server
        with -d and -f flags, it is giving me the following error.

httpd:  could not log pid to file /usr/local/keurp-httpd/logs/httpd.pid-

        I was using the server till yesterday and it was working
ok, all of suddent today morning when I reboot the system, I got
this erro message. Any help will be appreciated.

        Thanks in advance

-Apurva J Sheth

2. ISDN card for Linux

3. kwmsound gives "PID could not get read."

4. frequent ip changes with shared ADSL

5. rpc.ttdbserverd[pid]: "Could not find mount point for ..."

6. multiple net cards and routing problems

7. "No innd.pid file; did server die?" what does this mean???

8. HELP ABOUT PARTITIONS

9. "Logging" or "Log structured" file systems with news spool.

10. CERN HTTPD 3.0 -- Can't create logs and pid file

12. httpd.pid not found

13. missing httpd.pid file - apache2.0.43