Redirect to same page?

Post by H.-G » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

In the response handler of my own module in some cases the page
requested gets unlocked and modified and then I want to do an
external redirect to that page to get the user to reload it.

I.e. I want to do a REDIRECT Location: <same as requested>
in the response handler. Or something equivalent.

Instead of redirecting the browser, Apache merely prints the
"temporarily moved" error page, presumably to avoid circle
reloads.

Is there some way to make Apache to redirect to the same page
explicitely? How? Or can I do something different in the
response handler which has the same result? What?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Ricarda
--
R.Weber, Institut fuer Informatik, TU Muenchen, Tel.: 089/450552-25

Redirect to same page?

Post by Ralf S. Engelscha » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> In the response handler of my own module in some cases the page
> requested gets unlocked and modified and then I want to do an
> external redirect to that page to get the user to reload it.
> I.e. I want to do a REDIRECT Location: <same as requested>
> in the response handler. Or something equivalent.
> Instead of redirecting the browser, Apache merely prints the
> "temporarily moved" error page, presumably to avoid circle
> reloads.
> Is there some way to make Apache to redirect to the same page
> explicitely? How? Or can I do something different in the
> response handler which has the same result? What?

Although IMHO it's not a really safe way of forcing the page to be reloaded
(because just a reload have not mean to all browsers that they really reload
the page again), it's possible. I would set the Location response field to
r->uri manually in your response handler and also setting a 30x HTTP response.
Then send out this response (you are the handler). This should work.  When
not, you should explain a little bit more detailed what exactly your handler
does.

But I think a better (more robust perhaps) solution would be to first send out
a content with an "Expires" header which forces it to be expired immediately
plus containing a <meta> tag for the new location (sure, works not for all
browsers, but for all modern ones).

The other solution could be that your response is a MIME multipart one.  When
it is changed you just send one more instance of it, and then one more. I
don't know the purpose of your module/handler, but perhaps MIME multiparts are
an option for you, too.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall

                                       www.engelschall.com

1. jump.cgi or similar to redirect from Web Page Listbox

I know nothing about cgi scripts - so can anyone help.

I am writing a number of web pages and want to use either list boxes
or drop down list boxes to redirect browsers to other pages based on
the their selection (in the list boxes).

I note that Microsoft use redir.dll in conjunction with their forms to
do the job.  My Internet Service Provider does not have a script
for the job and in recent times has been very slow (in some cases)
to respond to requests (if they respond at all).

My ISP uses Linux and I am aware that some other ISPs using Linux have
a "jump.cgi" script.  Can anyone send me a "jump.cgi" script or
similar so that I can pass it on to my ISP and get access to it?

Please reply direct by email.
--
Robert
Robert W Hind                      Tel:  Work +61 9 480 0712

http:   //www.wantree.com.au/~rwhind/personal/rwhind001.html

2. Any informed opinions about Corel corporation and /or the Linux OS ?

3. Redirect to php page

4. Problem with dosemu-0.60.4

5. Redirecting to put pages into a frame (in Apache)?

6. TP365XD APM wrecks X display

7. apache : how to redirect user home pages to another server

8. flex release 2.4.4 now available

9. You are being redirected to nonsecure page

10. Redirect problem, home page needs to go one level deeper

11. redirecting only some pages

12. Redirecting to a custom error page from .htaccess

13. Redirecting access to a group of pages in Apache