more logging than NCSA/CERN?

Post by Mike Belsh » Mon, 13 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> I've a quick question:
>   Do any of the web servers log _more_ information than the NCSA and
>   CERN servers do?  I'm not asking about log file formats.  I'm
>   asking about content of the logs.
>   From reading http://www.proper.com/www/servers-chart.html it appears
>   that the only differences in logging are in available formats.

With the Netscape Servers you can write your own logging routines (via
NSAPI), so you can generate an arbitrary log with all kinds of cool
info.

Good luck,

Mike

---
Mike Belshe

more logging than NCSA/CERN?

Post by Robert Nichols » Mon, 13 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>>I've a quick question:
>>Do any of the web servers log _more_ information than the NCSA and
>>CERN servers do?  I'm not asking about log file formats.  I'm
>>asking about content of the logs.
>>From reading http://www.proper.com/www/servers-chart.html it appears
>>that the only differences in logging are in available formats.

>With the Netscape Servers you can write your own logging routines (via
>NSAPI), so you can generate an arbitrary log with all kinds of cool
>info.

Ditto apache.

--
             "Mary ate a little lamb and punk rock isn't dead"
            (PGP key: send email with Subject: request pgp key)

more logging than NCSA/CERN?

Post by J. Kevin Tern » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I've a quick question:
  Do any of the web servers log _more_ information than the NCSA and
  CERN servers do?  I'm not asking about log file formats.  I'm
  asking about content of the logs.
  From reading http://www.proper.com/www/servers-chart.html it appears
  that the only differences in logging are in available formats.

Thanks,

Kevin
--
 J. Kevin Ternes

 coolstuff:
     http://www.sv.vt.edu/class/Student_Proj/class94/ternes/ternes.html

more logging than NCSA/CERN?

Post by John Fran » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I've a quick question:
>   Do any of the web servers log _more_ information than the NCSA and
>   CERN servers do?  I'm not asking about log file formats.  I'm
>   asking about content of the logs.
>   From reading http://www.proper.com/www/servers-chart.html it appears
>   that the only differences in logging are in available formats.

The WN server allows you to log the usual stuff plus the "user-agent"
or client software, the "referer" or URL of the document pointing
to your document, and any Netscape type Cookie containing state information.

BTW one thing that WN has which no other server has is 200K of documentation!
See http://hopf.math.nwu.edu/docs/manual.html

--

John Franks     Dept of Math. Northwestern University

more logging than NCSA/CERN?

Post by Brandon Lon » Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>> I've a quick question:
>>   Do any of the web servers log _more_ information than the NCSA and
>>   CERN servers do?  I'm not asking about log file formats.  I'm
>>   asking about content of the logs.
>>   From reading http://www.proper.com/www/servers-chart.html it appears
>>   that the only differences in logging are in available formats.

>The WN server allows you to log the usual stuff plus the "user-agent"
>or client software, the "referer" or URL of the document pointing
>to your document, and any Netscape type Cookie containing state information.
>BTW one thing that WN has which no other server has is 200K of documentation!
>See http://hopf.math.nwu.edu/docs/manual.html

hoohoo 1> du -sk /u/Web/docs-1.5
1528    /u/Web/docs-1.5

Of course, that does include about 200k of images . . .

new and improved for 1.5 . . . .

Brandon
--
 Brandon Long           "I think, therefore I am Confused." - RAW
 HTTPd/SDG/NCSA/UIUC  "Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer."

 http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/blong  Consider myself properly disclaimed.

1. NCSA/CERN Transfter logs

Does anyone know how I can configure CERN or NCSA
www servers,  so the transfer_log (http_access)  will
only log the ip address instead of the DNS address?

Thanks

2. a funky problem with apache

3. Apache logging module for breaking logs daily, CERN-style?

4. internet access over network from linux

5. ANNOUNCE: Updated imagemap.pl for CERN & NCSA

6. Netscape trouble

7. Help with changing from CERN to NCSA daemon

8. DCC via NAT and PF

9. WWW Servers - W3(CERN)/NCSA/Apache Which one?

10. Secure Access: CERN vs NCSA

11. CERN vs NCSA - Which is best?

12. INFO NEEDED: NCSA vs CERN

13. Should we switch from CERN to NCSA - AIX platform