Automatic Reply

Post by Jo » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I was wondering if at all possible to set-up something so that when
someone sends me mail it replies them back with a message.. Any help
would be appreciated!

Joe

Automatic Reply

Post by Vaclav Sklena » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

If you're using Un*x, the solution isn't too hard to make it happen:
in your home directory use file .forward (see man forward), in which you should
find lines
\your_login_name
| respond

if doesn't exist, just create one.
respond is a full name of script. On standart input it will get incoming
message.
The very first line will be in form
From name_of_sender time_stuff
all you have to do is get name_of_sender, you can try in shell
NAME=`head -1 | cut -d" " -f 2`
and finally
cat reply_mail.txt | mail ${NAME}
will send mail to ${NAME}.
In all your scripts, use full paths, because if will run under sendmail env and
this isn't very rich in PATH.

                                Vaclav Sklenar
--
Vaclav Sklenar, student of math
http://www.ms.mff.cuni.cz/~vskl2309/

1. Location of automatic reply generator.

to be standard in the Berkeley Unix release (try the man page to see
if you have it.)  Also, here is a message I received  from Tim
Theisen:

bsd sources.
You can find it on ftp.uu.net in the directory bsd-sources/usr.bin/vacation.
It keeps track of addresses and only responds once per week.  The time is
settable.  It does not respond to mail from root, MAILER-DEMON, etc.  It
only repsonds to mail explicitly to you.  It replies with a message that
you have constructed which can have whatever special headers you desire.

Hope this helps, ...Tim

Tim Theisen             Department of Computer Sciences
Systems Programmer      University of Wisconsin-Madison

(608)262-0438           Madison, WI   53706

2. Trouble with blade 1000, NIC not working properly

3. automatic reply on incoming mail: HOW???

4. PS/2 mouse does not track properly

5. automatic reply databank...

6. ZIP/kernel problem

7. Automatic Replying...

8. Selecting the proper version of file

9. Automatic Reply from Trash (fwd)

10. Automatic replies

11. Automatic Replies

12. How to setup an automatic reply from ELM

13. Automatic Reply from Trash