Vacation on Unix

Post by John Har » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

is anyone familiar with the Vacation program on UNIX server. It states you can
start the program with the vacrion -i command and it will not shut down until
instructed but this isn't working. I have to manually start the vacation
program with the vacation -i program before I send email because it only works
once then shuts down.

If you have the answer PLEASE email me at the address below

John Hardy

Vacation on Unix

Post by Michael Salmo » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> is anyone familiar with the Vacation program on UNIX server. It states you can
> start the program with the vacrion -i command and it will not shut down until
> instructed but this isn't working. I have to manually start the vacation
> program with the vacation -i program before I send email because it only works
> once then shuts down.

vacation is run by sendmail for every incoming message, it should run
continuously.

--
? 1995,1996,1997 Michael Salmon
All opinions expressed in this article remain the property of

Vacation on Unix

Post by Q. Ray Landru » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> is anyone familiar with the Vacation program on UNIX server. It states you can
> start the program with the vacrion -i command and it will not shut down until
> instructed but this isn't working. I have to manually start the vacation
> program with the vacation -i program before I send email because it only works
> once then shuts down.

> If you have the answer PLEASE email me at the address below

> John Hardy

From my understanding the Vacation system is part of sendmail.

If you put a file in your login directory called ".vacation" and have it
contain the message that you want returned while you are away. Everytime
a E-Mail message is sent to you this file will be returned to the
sender.

Cheers

Vacation on Unix

Post by William E. Hop » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > is anyone familiar with the Vacation program on UNIX server. It states you can
> > start the program with the vacrion -i command and it will not shut down until
> > instructed but this isn't working. I have to manually start the vacation
> > program with the vacation -i program before I send email because it only works
> > once then shuts down.

> > If you have the answer PLEASE email me at the address below

> > John Hardy

> From my understanding the Vacation system is part of sendmail.

> If you put a file in your login directory called ".vacation" and have it
> contain the message that you want returned while you are away. Everytime
> a E-Mail message is sent to you this file will be returned to the
> sender.

You also need to alter your .forward file.  Re-read your manpage.  Vacation
will only send vacation mail once per unique email address that it receives.

--

[ Software Tools Engineer     ][ tel: 972.497.4180 ][    the Answer, don't   ]
[ HP/Convex Technology Center ][ FAX: 972.497.4245 ][    ask the Question!   ]

1. Vacation type program for smail on SCO UNIX

Does anyone have a 'vacation' type program where automatic replies
are sent to people via e-mail for smail 3.1.29.1 on SCO UNIX?

I've tried Eric P.  Allman's 'vacation' program but I can't seem to get it
to work properly on SCO UNIX 4.2.

Thanks

Aris

--
Aris Stathakis            Tel: +27 11 233 6233       Snail Mail:
Pre-Sales Support         Fax: +27 11 233 6433       Private Bag 1

2. New user Question blitz!

3. help with unix VACATION command

4. SiS 530 & X

5. Unix vacation mail function help needed

6. Question about Open Source attributions

7. Unix E-mail Forwarding and Vacation

8. FTP setup difficulties

9. vacation program for linux?

10. 4 weeks vacation-University job Opportunity

11. vacation alternative

12. How do I use Vacation?

13. Can't go on vacation!