Accessing Oracle through Web

Post by Ram Kakulawara » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

We are planning to develop a web system to access the Oracle Database on
a unix (AIX/RS6000), DEC/Alpha/VMS severs. We have Netscape sever and
Oracle Database servers on both Microsoft NT(intel) sever and on
IBM/RS6000 servers. ( The Data is in Oracle on AIX and also on Alpha/VMS
servers). We want to start with small application then go from there.

With the above setup we are considering Oracle web server on NT. If you
are using Oracle Web server Can you share your experiences. If you are
using some other tools to access the Oracle database from NT or AIX(web
servers) can you specify the tools and share your experiences.

Thanks in Advance.

Ram

Accessing Oracle through Web

Post by Yann Stettle » Wed, 01 May 1996 04:00:00

I guess that you can also use the Oracle ProC compiler to write
CGI-script to query or access the DB.

Cheers,
Yann S.

TheNet - Internet Services AG              CohProg SaRL

http://www.thenet.ch/                      http://www.cohprog.com/

Accessing Oracle through Web

Post by Ram Kakulawara » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

I have not got any responses so I am posting again(second time).

--------

Post by Stewart Arnol » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

> With the above setup we are considering Oracle web server on NT. If you
> are using Oracle Web server Can you share your experiences. If you are
> using some other tools to access the Oracle database from NT or AIX(web
> servers) can you specify the tools and share your experiences.

We are currently developing a website that accesses an Oracle database on NT
using Oracle Objects for OLE and Visual Basic.

Although not in production yet, the speed of development and the performance
of the OLE2 Objects are making this project a success.

Stewart Arnold

Post by Balakrishna Avu » Sat, 04 May 1996 04:00:00

>I have not got any responses so I am posting again(second time).
>--------
>We are planning to develop a web system to access the Oracle Database on
>a unix (AIX/RS6000), DEC/Alpha/VMS severs. We have Netscape sever and
>Oracle Database servers on both Microsoft NT(intel) sever and on
>IBM/RS6000 servers. ( The Data is in Oracle on AIX and also on Alpha/VMS
>servers). We want to start with small application then go from there.
>With the above setup we are considering Oracle web server on NT. If you
>are using Oracle Web server Can you share your experiences. If you are
>using some other tools to access the Oracle database from NT or AIX(web
>servers) can you specify the tools and share your experiences.
>Thanks in Advance.
>Ram

I tested WebServer 1.0 from Oracle on a Sun Sparc machine. The
installation took only half an hour to get it up and running. I was
impressed by its ease of set-up and stability. Web server 1.0 came
only with PL/SQL development kit, I did not test that bit.

I hope this information is of use.

Bala

--
Balakrishna Avula                                               28 Ashby Court
* Consultant                                            Hemel Hempstead

Accessing Oracle through Web

Post by James P. Coop » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>With the above setup we are considering Oracle web server on NT. If you
>are using Oracle Web server Can you share your experiences. If you are
>using some other tools to access the Oracle database from NT or AIX(web
>servers) can you specify the tools and share your experiences.

We're using SGI Indy's running NCSA HTTPd and Oracle 7.1

There's a few ways to do it:
  o PRO*C (as a previous poster mentioned)
  o Oraperl
  o DBD::Oracle (Perl5 module)
  o WOW/MOWI (Oracle Corp's web interface kit)
  o Sapphire/Web (Bluestone Corp: http://www.bluestone.com)

I have a little description of the methods we've used here:

http://www.coe.missouri.edu/~pixel/computers/oracle.html

Hope that helps

-- James

                        James Paul Cooper * Pixel