Apache 1.1.1 and PUT method

Post by Carol Smit » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
    I am trying to figure out what I have to
do to publish from netscape-gold to my web
pages.  Our web server (apache 1.1.1) replies
with

Error uploading files
The server responded:

Method not implemented
PUT to /~carol/index.html not supported.

Is that message occurring because PUT is really
unsupported under Apache 1.1.1 or is it because
I don't have a cgi-script that will handle the
PUT?  If that is the case, does anyone have such
a cgi-script or is it a REALLY bad idea?

   Thanks for any help that you can give.
Please reply via email (as well as posting)
because I don't often read this group.

      Carol Smith

      url: http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~carol/

      Dept of Computing Science
      GSB 615
      University of Alberta
      Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2H1

Apache 1.1.1 and PUT method

Post by brian moo » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi,
>     I am trying to figure out what I have to
> do to publish from netscape-gold to my web
> pages.  Our web server (apache 1.1.1) replies
> with

> Error uploading files
> The server responded:

> Method not implemented
> PUT to /~carol/index.html not supported.

> Is that message occurring because PUT is really
> unsupported under Apache 1.1.1 or is it because
> I don't have a cgi-script that will handle the
> PUT?  If that is the case, does anyone have such
> a cgi-script or is it a REALLY bad idea?

It can be a dangerous thing: think about it... do you want to gave the ability
to write to your web pages to anyone on the net?  How are you going to
authenticate them?  Do you trust your authentication?  Does the authentication
itself open up more holes?

That said, yes, Apache allows PUT... if you have something to handle a PUT,
which really has to be a CGI script (since the Apache Group has looked at
the above * security holes and for now stayed the hell away from them
for good reason).

If you have any ideas on how to make PUT for web pages secure, I'm willing
to listen and willing to hack something to do it if I think it'd work.

--
Brian Moore                      The opinions expressed above are my own, not
Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker          necesarily my employers'.

1. Netscape Gold publish - require PUT method on Apache

Hi,

Does anyone know whether or when Apache will support the HTTP PUT
used by Netscape Gold for publishing edited documents. I know you
can use FTP but that seems to be broken when you have proxy servers
configured, and also does not try to set uploaded files to any
reasonable sort of permissions.
--
: Martin Visser
: BHP Steel - Flat Products Division

: WWW   (Home) http://www.nspace.com.au/~mvisser

2. HELP: How to recover a partition table

3. PUT method problems in Apache 1.x.x

4. OK MS Paid Shills...Please Raise Your Hand

5. PUT method for Apache 1.1b3 ?

6. Problem with Xlib!

7. Using PUT method with Apache 1.2b7

8. ppp0 ppp1 roaming. what can I do to control this?

9. Apache and the PUT method...

10. Answer summary : Apache - How to enable the PUT method ?

11. POST / PUT Methods with Apache

12. Apache - How to enable the PUT method ?

13. apache 1.1.3 and PUT method