Showing stats for specific website instead of top nth

Showing stats for specific website instead of top nth

Post by Keegan Al » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:30:18

Hi folks,

I'm running Apache 2.0.39 web server on Red Hat 8.0, and I'm trying to
find a way to parse my web logs and get statistics on specific sites
-- not just top nth sites.

I'm using AWStats and Webalizer, but I can't find how to do this with
eiter.  Both do wonderful jobs in giving me global information on my
server... but Marketing needs statistics on specific sites that don't
fall into a top 10 or top 50 report.  Now can I force either of these
programs -- or another program -- to show statistics on specific URL's
on my site?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Keegan.

Post by William Tass » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:44:38

> I'm running Apache 2.0.39 web server on Red Hat 8.0, and I'm trying to
> find a way to parse my web logs and get statistics on specific sites
> -- not just top nth sites.

> I'm using AWStats and Webalizer, but I can't find how to do this with
> eiter.  Both do wonderful jobs in giving me global information on my
> server... but Marketing needs statistics on specific sites that don't
> fall into a top 10 or top 50 report.  Now can I force either of these
> programs -- or another program -- to show statistics on specific URL's
> on my site?

You have direct access to your site logs?  You will probably[1] find they
will load nicely into your favourite spreadsheet or database app.

The rest is trivial.

[1] unless the format has been frigged about by a well meaning but bumbling
host/admin.
--
William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

Showing stats for specific website instead of top nth

Post by dav.. » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:44:51

Quote:> find a way to parse my web logs and get statistics on specific sites

Add the site url to the log file (see the Apache web site for the
instructions), then parse the log file and process them separately, or
define a different access_log file for each virtual host.

Davide

Showing stats for specific website instead of top nth

Post by Ben » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:38:15

Quote:> Hi folks,

> I'm running Apache 2.0.39 web server on Red Hat 8.0, and I'm trying to
> find a way to parse my web logs and get statistics on specific sites
> -- not just top nth sites.

> I'm using AWStats and Webalizer, but I can't find how to do this with
> eiter.  Both do wonderful jobs in giving me global information on my
> server... but Marketing needs statistics on specific sites that don't
> fall into a top 10 or top 50 report.  Now can I force either of these
> programs -- or another program -- to show statistics on specific URL's
> on my site?

> Thanks for any suggestions.

As already mentioned downloading raw data into a spreadsheet etc may be
useful.

The specific top nth problem you mention is because of the "floor" set on
the reports, I added the following to my analog.cfg which sorted it out for
me.

#Setting FLOOR to 1 item for everything, should list every item.
HOSTFLOOR 1r
REDIRHOSTFLOOR 1r
FAILHOSTFLOOR 1r
DOMFLOOR 1r
ORGFLOOR 1r
REQFLOOR 1r
DIRFLOOR 1r
TYPEFLOOR 1r
REDIRFLOOR 1r
FAILFLOOR 1r
REFFLOOR 1r
REFSITEFLOOR 1r
SEARCHQUERYFLOOR 1r
SEARCHWORDFLOOR 1r
INTSEARCHQUERYFLOOR 1r
INTSEARCHWORDFLOOR 1r
REDIRREFFLOOR 1r
FAILREFFLOOR 1r
BROWREPFLOOR 1r
BROWSUMFLOOR 1r
OSFLOOR 1r
VHOSTFLOOR 1r
REDIRVHOSTFLOOR 1r
FAILVHOSTFLOOR 1r
USERFLOOR 1r
REDIRUSERFLOOR 1r
FAILUSERFLOOR 1r
STATUSFLOOR 1r

Anyway that will list everything in the report. AWStats gets the generated
file and parses it too make all the graphs etc. Look for the lines

OUTPUT COMPUTER
LOGFILE logfiles\*.log
OUTFILE "C:\Program Files\WADigital\ReportMagic\report.dat"

note where the outfile line points to. Import this file into your
spreadsheet as it may be more usable than the raw log files (esp if the raw
logs are too big to fit in a spreadsheet!)

Anyway you can make some changes to yur analog configuration to exclude or
include certain sites, check out hte analog documentation itself.
http://www.analog.cx/docs/include.html

--
BenM
http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/

Showing stats for specific website instead of top nth

Post by Bill Loga » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:08:39

Quote:> Hi folks,

> I'm running Apache 2.0.39 web server on Red Hat 8.0, and I'm trying to
> find a way to parse my web logs and get statistics on specific sites
> -- not just top nth sites.

> I'm using AWStats and Webalizer, but I can't find how to do this with
> eiter.  Both do wonderful jobs in giving me global information on my
> server... but Marketing needs statistics on specific sites that don't
> fall into a top 10 or top 50 report.  Now can I force either of these
> programs -- or another program -- to show statistics on specific URL's
> on my site?

As well as full server logs each seperate domain (name) site should also
have it's own logs usually set in the <virtualhosts> directive. It is then
quite simple to set any log analysis programme to read the log files for a
given directory, (site).