spurious 403 response

Post by Bernhard Miche » Fri, 18 May 2001 22:33:06

Going through the error_log file I can see lines that contain this:

... Permission denied: /home/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file

In the access_log I can find the related HTTP responses  403 (Forbidden).

Some more remarks:
- this happens only sometimes
- our /home directory is managed by an automounter
- most of the requests to the very same files are answered fine.
- most of the failed requests are addressing *.jpg and *.gif files
- We are running apache 1.3.12 on SunOS 5.7 ie. Solaris 7

Thanks for every hint
Bernhard

  Ascom Business Systems AG
  Ziegelmattstrasse 1-15
  CH-4503 Solothurn
  Phone +41 32 624 20 14
  Fax   +41 32 624 31 56

  http://www.ascom.com

spurious 403 response

Post by Joshua Sliv » Fri, 18 May 2001 23:57:28

> Going through the error_log file I can see lines that contain this:
> ... Permission denied: /home/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file
> In the access_log I can find the related HTTP responses  403 (Forbidden).
> Some more remarks:
> - this happens only sometimes
> - our /home directory is managed by an automounter
> - most of the requests to the very same files are answered fine.
> - most of the failed requests are addressing *.jpg and *.gif files
> - We are running apache 1.3.12 on SunOS 5.7 ie. Solaris 7

If you have a flakey automounter that is sometimes failing to serve
files, then the only solution is to set AllowOverride to None for
those directories to prevent Apache from checking for .htaccess files.

--
Joshua Slive

http://slive.ca/

spurious 403 response

Post by Name Vornam » Thu, 24 May 2001 00:44:05

> > Going through the error_log file I can see lines that contain this:

> > ... Permission denied: /home/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file

> > In the access_log I can find the related HTTP responses  403 (Forbidden).

> > Some more remarks:
> > - this happens only sometimes
> > - our /home directory is managed by an automounter
> > - most of the requests to the very same files are answered fine.
> > - most of the failed requests are addressing *.jpg and *.gif files
> > - We are running apache 1.3.12 on SunOS 5.7 ie. Solaris 7

> If you have a flakey automounter that is sometimes failing to serve
> files, then the only solution is to set AllowOverride to None for
> those directories to prevent Apache from checking for .htaccess files.

Thanks a lot; the problem did not occur again

Bernhard Michel
Ascom Enterprise Communications

spurious 403 response

Post by Name Vornam » Thu, 24 May 2001 00:45:10

> > Going through the error_log file I can see lines that contain this:

> > ... Permission denied: /home/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file

> > In the access_log I can find the related HTTP responses  403 (Forbidden).

> > Some more remarks:
> > - this happens only sometimes
> > - our /home directory is managed by an automounter
> > - most of the requests to the very same files are answered fine.
> > - most of the failed requests are addressing *.jpg and *.gif files
> > - We are running apache 1.3.12 on SunOS 5.7 ie. Solaris 7

> If you have a flakey automounter that is sometimes failing to serve
> files, then the only solution is to set AllowOverride to None for
> those directories to prevent Apache from checking for .htaccess files.

Thanks a lot; the problem did not occur again

Bernhard Michel
Ascom Enterprise Communications

1. Spurious Solaris/Apache 403's - Threads?

We're setting up a new site under Solaris with Apache and we're getting
tons of 403's when more than a few hundred people hit the site.  This is
not a naive install, all dir's, files, are permissioned to go.

We're guessing it's resource based, possibly thread thrashing?   We can
hit it with bots and it's fine, but as soon as our testing service starts
bumping up the volume we start getting them...

We've set the ulimit to 1000, maybe more... Any config things we could
tweak with Apache that might ameliorate this nonsense?   We're using
ArrowPoint too... any config there that could cause a 403?

Thanks in advance...

Jeff Harrington [--->>[[      New CD - Piano Preludes 1991-98       ]]<<--]

http://www.parnasse.com/jeff.htm --------->>[[   Music  ]]<<--------------]
http://www.parnasse.com/vrml.shtml ------->>[[ VR Worlds ]]<<-------------]

2. Mail Clients / Server / Firewall Question

3. updatemanager : Server returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL: https://getupdates.sun .com/solaris/

4. linux and supported ta ISDN usb?

5. SETI@home website - spurious 403 errors w/ apache. Why?! Help!

6. ppp connection slow

7. 403 Forbidden you don't have access to / on this server.....

8. Boot disk crashes booting Red hat 5

9. 403 Error for relative paths in Apache 1.3.3

10. 403 forbidden error with apache when symlinking to different partition

11. 403 forbiden cgi-bin (newbie)

12. Apache 1.3.19 return 403 Forbidden on PDF file

13. Forbidden 403 Error