WebTrends Enterprise Suite vs. WebTrends Enterprise Reporting Server?

WebTrends Enterprise Suite vs. WebTrends Enterprise Reporting Server?

Post by Da » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

At work, I currently use WebTrends Enterprise Suite (3.5, I think)
on a Windows NT box for web log analysis and reporting.  It produces
pretty pictures and charts that executive sorts like, and does a
pretty good job of it.

Unfortunately, it also manages to crash randomly, as does the NT box
as a whole.  Having better things to do with my time than babysit the
two of them, re-run missed reports, and such, I've been considering
trying to move off the NT box onto a Solaris or Linux box.

I've noticed that WebTrends Enterprise Reporting Server is available
for Solaris and Linux, and costs the same as Enterprise Suite.  But
on WebTrends' web site, I have been unable to find a head-to-head
comparison of the two products.  Enterprise Suite's brochure says it's
the "most comprehensive" or some such, while Enterprise Reporting
Server's says it's the "most powerful."

I don't care about the marketing fluff; I want a comparison of specs,
features and such. :)  So I'll be pestering WebTrends to see if they
can cough one up.

In the meantime, I'm curious as to whether anyone out there in Usenet
land has actually used both of these products, or moved from one to
the other (either way).  If you have, I'd be interested in hearing
your thoughts, opinions and experiences.

I'm sending followups to c.i.w.s.unix, since I'm hoping to wind up on
the UNIX side of things.

-Dan

--
Dan Birchall - Palolo Valley - Hawaii - http://dan.scream.org/
Spam is for musubi, not e-mail.  Pass Hawaii Senate Bill 2352!

WebTrends Enterprise Suite vs. WebTrends Enterprise Reporting Server?

Post by Jonathan Baker-Bate » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

If it's any help, we moved from WebTrends to Net.Analysis and it was
soooo much better it actually made be weep with joy. Running the
engine on Solaris (there is also an NT version which I've not tried),
analysing stats from about 45 servers and producing lovely reports
that almost every level of the organisation could understand. The
documentation was also strong on how it analysed logs and defined its
terms. Typical run times are about an hour to report on a 200MB log.

If that sounds like I have an affiliation with Net.Genesis, I don't.
I'm just a satisfied customer (and subsequent hater of WebTrends!)

JJ