Apache: delay after cgi / apache::registry scripts

Apache: delay after cgi / apache::registry scripts

Post by John Aegar » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:36:48

I am having a little bit of trouble with my Apache server.

Lately, I've noticed a serious slowdown on my Apache::Registry and my CGI
scripts.  However, the internal logging I do on the scripts indicates that
the scripts are not running any slower than they used to.  On an unloaded
server, my primary script takes from .5 - 1 seconds to run.

I've tried tailing the Apache log file as requests come in.  After the log
file notes completion of the request, it can take anywhere from zero to 180
seconds after that for the request to show up at the browser.

I've verified this problem through several different ISPs and software
combinations, so I suspect that the problem's on the server side and not
with my client browser or networking.  I've also tried three different
versions of Apache -- 1.3.4, 1.3.12, and 1.3.20 -- without any improvement.

The problem does not affect static content; I can serve up static files,
even big ones, in a heartbeat.  It also does not affect very simple CGI
scripts that just spew a lot of data to the browser.  This makes me suspect
that the problem is within Apache, and not within the networking hardware or
setup at our co-location facility.

I have tried running my scripts with Perl's $| variable set to both 0 and 1,
and neither has any visible affect.  I have also tried monkeying with the
Apache KeepAlive setting, and that has not solved my problem either.

I'm not sure where to go from here.  I've rooted through groups.google and
google and the Apache FAQ and haven't found anything useful.  Can anyone
help?

thanks--

John Aegard

1. apache: give /home/mailman/cgi-bin permissions to run cgi-scripts.

Hey ho,
I try to install mailman on my server.
Now I have to give /home/mailman/cgi-bin permissions to run cgi-scripts.
How can I do this?
In the documentation of mailman s.th. like
Exec          /mailman/*      $prefix/cgi-bin/*
or
ScriptAlias   /mailman/       $prefix/cgi-bin/

is shown. Which one is right, or none?

Bye
 Jonas

--
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the
grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin

2. How to Enable Root access through X windows

3. apache: cgi script not in cgi-bin

4. SCSI Card Supported for SUN Sparc Ultra 5

5. Using .cgi/.pl to enable CGI script in Apache

6. Redirecting URLs

7. Help: Apache: cgi script - malformed header from script

8. Motorola Clone with 64MegRAM, 160Chip & LinuxPPC2000

9. Servlets+Apache vs. CGI+Apache ??

10. Apache OS/2 CGI patch (was Re: Apache/2 web server)

11. Apache server behind Apache proxy / CGI environment question

12. Apache caching img cgi? Bad Apache, no donut.

13. CGI-scripts and Apache