FTP quotas for users on a virtual server

FTP quotas for users on a virtual server

Post by Goran Kas » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Is it possible to impose FTP quotas for directories (i.e. users) in
htdocs?

I'm new on administrating this thing, and as it seems to me users to whom
I sell some small space on my virtual server can upload as much files as
they want untill they completely fill the space my provider has given me.

Am I wrong?

Ashamed to ask, but, I found out there are various WWW servers, found the
manuals for mine... what about FTP? Who (which program) responds when I
log on with a FTP client, where are the configuration files?????

As you can see, any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Goran

Post by Yuan Jia » Sun, 27 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Is it possible to impose FTP quotas for directories (i.e. users) in
>htdocs?

Don't know which OS you use.  I use Solaris.  You can turn on
quota for any user, including FTP user.  You turn on qutoa
for a user's files on a particular filesystem.  All files
belong to this user on this filesystem(s) count.  (I learned
it the hard way.  I first thought quota only counts the home dir usage.)

On Solaris,
1) # touch /FILESYSTEM/quotas
2) add "rq" option to the filesystem in /etc/vfstab file.
3) # quotaon FILESYSTEM
4) # edquota USER

1. Quotas : Format of quota.users & quota.groups ?

Hi,

I am running Linux-FT with kernel 1.2.13 and quota patches. I would like
to enable quotas in order to control memory usage by apps (I'm trying to
debug an app that keeps grabbing all system memory, preventing me from
typing kill).

In order to enable quotas, files called quota.users and quota.groups
need to be present in the root directory. The 'edquota'
program is supposed to be used to set these up, but it simply invokes vi,
expecting the user to know the file format. The man pages say that
the file format is 'inscrutable', but don't actually describe it anywhere!

Anyone know the correct format ?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

| Steve Mottram                                                             |
|                                                                           |
| University Department of Anaesthesia  |    Internal Phone : LRI 5694      |
| Leicester Royal Infirmary             |    Phone  :  +44 (0)116 258 5291  |
| Leicester LE1 5WW                     |    Fax    :  +44 (0)116 285 4487  |

| Witty bit deleted due to budget cuts.                                     |

2. Module and daemon startup

3. RH71: Confused Quotas - quotaon looking for quota.user, edquota looking for aquota.user

4. What is USWC write posting?

5. Allowing a virtual server user FTP access to an html directory only

6. reading process table

7. Virtual Servers: WWW, FTP, POP, SMTP, SSL capable (not simply Virtual Hosting)

8. modprobe: Can't locate module xyz

9. Pure-FTPd + LDAP + MySQL + PGSQL + Virtual-Users + Quota How To

10. Disk quotas and the ftp user

11. Quota messages for ftp users!

12. User QUOTA on FTP

13. user quotas and printer usage quotas on NT domain