Like some help !

Post by Stefan Westma » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

i would like numbers instead of text for a url. What do i do ?

PLease send your answer to:

Like some help !

Post by Luc Saucie » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> i would like numbers instead of text for a url. What do i do ?

> PLease send your answer to:

Use the "nslookup" program that translate the url address in IP
numbers...

Luc Saucier

1. Help-PC likes linux so much won't run DOS

Hi.  My PC has developed an unusual problem, prbobably hardware
related but I had a few questions that might help isolate it.

The problem is that whenever I boot MS-DOS the system will freeze up
at seemingly random intervals-- sometimes during a directory, sometimes
at the "Enter new time prompt", sometimes in programs.  A virus scan showed
it to be clean, and this occurs for the system on the HD (I only have 5.0) +
several boot disks (all that I tried, including a borrowed 6.2).  It seems
like a major hardware problem.

The wierd part is that I run linux all the time with no such problems.  (I
currently am running 0.99 something, keep telling myself I should upgrade
but lazy).  I even run dosemu from linux (version 0.50 I believe) with no
problems other than speed (and a few problems with certain games which I
suspect are emulation problems-- rather regular and immediate).

For completeness, the system is an aging Zeos 386SX 16MHz, 12Meg RAM, and
340Meg Maxtor HD split btwn DOS and linux.

My general impression was that linux is a tougher test of hardware than
DOS, so this problem seems baffling.  The most sensible solution I can see
is a problem with the BIOS.  I just wanted to check a few "facts" before
considering finding new BIOS chips (assuming its possible, a AMI-386 cw 1989),

1) Linux does not use any BIOS routines except perhaps in early stages of
booting, rest of the stuff is handled by kernel, etc?
(An aside, my PC on rare occasions locks up on reboot, a ctrl-alt-del will
get it going though)

2) DOSEMU dos not use BIOS at all (DOSEMU uses linux kernel to emulate them)?

If anyone could verify the above "facts", or if anyone has any suggestions
brilliant or otherwise as to what the problem might be (or where to get
some 386 BIOSes cheap), I'd be grateful.  Until then, my PC is a linux-only
box (not too bad a loss, but miss a few games).

                                Thanks,
                                Tom Payerle

2. Problems with my new Graphics Board

3. how to upgrade a Linux distribution so PERL's DBI likes it?

4. how to install samba

5. Will GNUtella kills off Yahoo and the likes?

6. Compiling Kernel 2.0

7. Allchin backtracks, now likes open source

8. real mode BIOS calls?

9. KDM likes to resize user's images

10. mountd not liking /etc/exports in 2.8, 3.0

11. Gosling likes idea of open source Java (Re: More as* kicking: Unilever picks J2EE over .NET)

12. Solaris "showrev" command look-a-likes?

13. Toys'R Us Likes NT Best