Power Loss, now access_log not quite right

Power Loss, now access_log not quite right

Post by Ray Ducet » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

RH 5.2 for Intel
Apache 1.3.3 (least that's what httpd -v is telling me)
pII 233

I'm a newbie, so I'll give you what I've seen, hope this'll help.

A while back the machine lost power, cord got kicked out
of the wall. After that, starting apache would get me:

syntax error on line 159 of etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
LogFormat takes 1-2 arguments, a log format string (see docs) and an
optional format name.

I took a look at httpd.conf and commented out the LogFormat lines
and with httpd -t I get SYNTAX OK

but... the access_log contains a single word for every entry: "combined"

has this happened to anyone? if so, is there a way to fix it?
I've been attempting to take care of this myself for the last three days
but I'm not getting very far. any help or information would be greatly
appreciated.

Ray D

Post by Joshua Sliv » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> A while back the machine lost power, cord got kicked out
> of the wall. After that, starting apache would get me:
> syntax error on line 159 of etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
> LogFormat takes 1-2 arguments, a log format string (see docs) and an
> optional format name.
> I took a look at httpd.conf and commented out the LogFormat lines
> and with httpd -t I get SYNTAX OK
> but... the access_log contains a single word for every entry: "combined"

You probably have something like

CustomLog access_log combined

in your httpd.conf.  Since you commented out the definition of
"combined" log format, apache can't tell what this means and simply
assumes that you want a log that contains the word "combined".  You
need to add something like

Logformat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-agent}i\"" combined

to your httpd.conf to tell apache what the combined log format looks
like.  Note that this has two arguments -- The first long string
enclosed in the outer-most quotes is the format string and then
"combined" gives the nickname.  See
http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_log_config.html for details.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

1. mail not quite working right

I've gotten a server set up and I thought I had DNS working (it mostly
does) but one thing isn't right yet.  I want a user's address to be

I could use that but I'd rather not.  Is this a DNS issue or a
sendmail issue?  What did I do wrong (or more likely, what did I not
do)?

Henry Hartley

2. Zephyrs and Kerberos

3. My Lovely Openwin... not quite right.

4. Forgot root password

5. DHCP SERVER not working quite right? (RH6.0)

6. help on setting up a crontab entry

7. Help! shared libraries not working quite right.

8. c++ program reboots system.

9. source rpm's not quite right

10. 2.5.29: fbcon palette not quite right

11. NetBSD 1.4.1 setup on hp300 not quite right

12. pppd demand dialling Not quite right...

13. lpd: filters not working quite right