Apache 1.3.9 Virtual Server help - dymanic IP

Apache 1.3.9 Virtual Server help - dymanic IP

Post by Bern Rudisil » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I have seen a lot of post here about getting virtual hosts working, but none
of them seem to address my problem. So here I go:

I have virtual hosts working using the following configuration:

NameVirtualHost 158.252.98.140

<VirtualHost 158.252.98.140>
ServerName rcs.dynip.com
DocumentRoot /www/rcs
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 158.252.98.140>
DocumentRoot /www/calvarybaptist
ServerName rcs.dyn.tj
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 158.252.98.140>
ServerName rcs.serverathome.com
DocumentRoot /www/calvarybaptist
</VirtualHost>

The problem I have is currently (until my DSL is installed) I need to be
able to server these using a dynamic IP address. Is this possible? I have a
few domain names that get updated ever time my IP changes, namely the
following: rcs.dynip.com, rcs.dyn.tj, rcs.serverathome.com.
I have tried the following configuration but only the first virtual host
gets served:

NameVirtualHost rcs.dynip.com

<VirtualHost rcs.dynip.com>
ServerName rcs.dynip.com
DocumentRoot /www/rcs
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost rcs.dynip.com>
DocumentRoot /www/calvarybaptist
ServerName rcs.dyn.tj
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost rcs.dynip.com>
ServerName rcs.serverathome.com
DocumentRoot /www/calvarybaptist
</VirtualHost>

2nd problem
if I add the following at the end or the beg. of the virtual host list:

<VirtualHost _default_:*>
    DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html
</VirtualHost>

this never seems to work.

Any help would be great
Thanks
Bern Rudisill
Rudisill's Computer Solutions

1. Apache IP vs. Name based virtual servers

I have a dilemma:

I'm planning on installing Apache using virtual servers
(that may be 100 or more), and I don't know which way
is any better than the other: ip based or named based.

I've read that ip based isn't desireable because of the
ip's that have to be used, but that is not a concern.
We can get several class C's without a problem.  For
name based to work, the DNS has to be correct, and that
cost is a dns lookup (but the lookup will be to the local
machine which will be primary for all of the domains used).

I'm really trying to find out if there is any know
performance issues that make either approach worse than
the other.

Anyone have experience with one or the other and found issues
with the way they chose?

----------

Merit Network, Inc.                     Phone: 734-647-9888
4251 Plymouth Road, Suite 2000          Ann Arbor, MI  48105-2785
                        http://www.merit.edu

2. PATCH: 2.5.27 pci quirk for dunord

3. Apache server config for non IP based virtual host

4. Job Website

5. new HowTo: Set up Virtual Servers on Apache with Dynamic IP

6. How to disable "CTRL+ALT+DEL" keys combination ?

7. apache 2.x, php, virtual / non virtual websites and running under restricted server id questions

8. Sod 2.2 compiler woes

9. Dymanic ip assignment or at least a good fake

10. dymanic IP with PPP?

11. E-Mailing Dymanic IP

12. Apache Gurus: Apache virtual server using SSI???

13. Help with apache 1.0 virtual servers