How do you eliminate "Repost form data?" prompt in Apache

How do you eliminate "Repost form data?" prompt in Apache

Post by Todd Goldenbau » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Is there any way to turn off the prompt that says "Repost form data?" in
Apache?

I use CGI with the occaional javascript reload, which makes this message
annoying to users.

thanks,
Todd

Post by Ron Klatchk » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Is there any way to turn off the prompt that says "Repost form data?" in
> Apache?

> I use CGI with the occaional javascript reload, which makes this message
> annoying to users.

That message comes from the browser; Apache does not have any control
over it.

You can get around it if your FORM uses GET instead of POST.

moo

Post by Sevo Still » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Is there any way to turn off the prompt that says "Repost form data?" in
> Apache?

Certainly not in apache - this is done by the browser. It is a browser
security feature for method POST, and generally will only be visible in
situations which could indicate a user error (due to the semantics of
POST, posting the same request twice may have unexpected or undesirable
results, such as ordering the same item twice).

Quote:> I use CGI with the occaional javascript reload, which makes this message
> annoying to users.

Either your javascript is broken, or you use method POST where you
really need the semantics of GET.

Sevo

--
Sevo Stille

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Is there any way to turn off the prompt that says "Repost form data?" in
> Apache?

This hasn't anything to do with Apache.

The protocol specs define GET as suitable for operations that do not
change the state of the universe ("idempotent" in the jargon), and POST
for operations that it would be dangerous to repeat arbitrarily
(ordering a new auto on your credit card, whatever).

The client agent (= browser) is behaving fully in accordance with the
protocol specs by alerting the user that they're about to incur a second
debit on their card, or suchlike.

Quote:> I use CGI with the occaional javascript reload, which makes this message
> annoying to users.

Maybe if you had revealed the nature of the real problem (but please not
here, as this has nothing specifically to do with the server or with
unix), then someone could suggest an appropriate solution.  Merely
changing POST to GET could make the _symptom_ go away, but whether it's
an appropriate thing to do in relation to the real problem is quite a
different issue, I'd caution.

1. Apache/Solaris slow POSTing large file using enctype="multipart/form-data"

Hi,
I'm having a very strange problem posting files to my web server (Sun
ultra2 2x400, 1G ram, Solaris 7, Apache 1.3.20) using a POST
operation. The post operation seems to send data to my server at a
very low speed (about 10kb/sec over a 100Mb switched link!). FTP and
Samba transfers to the sun are fast (10MB/sec kinda thing)

 For reference, the form looks something like

<form action="handler" enctype="multipart/form-data" method="post">
<input type="file">
</form>

The slowdown is before the handler (be it PHP, perl, java) gets a
chance to see the data (I think Apache loads the entire file first).

The strange thing is that running the exact same form on a linux box
(P2 233, 256M ram) is very fast, leading me to think that either
Solaris isn't allowing Apache to take the data fast, or that I've
somehow bunged up my load of Apache.

Thanks,
-Nate

2. Delayed mail

3. Issue with address resolution

5. IFS : /etc/suid_profile Erros

6. how to create "DOS-like prompt" at shell prompt

7. AWK hexadecimal to decimal

8. Get "dos: no dos partition" from boot prompt

10. rss" and "stack" and "data" in /etc/security/limits file

11. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

12. "Repost from data"?