Why won't search engines find our virtual hosts?

Why won't search engines find our virtual hosts?

Post by Brandon Hutchiso » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

We have Apache 1.3.9 running on DECUNIX.
We have some virtual hosts setup but these are not being reported by
search engines we have supposedly registered them with.
The default host (the first in the list) *is* found but not the rest.

Why could this be?  Is it an inherent problem with virtual hosts sharing
one IP address, or is there some way we can configure Apache to overcome
it or....

Thanks for any help

Brandon Hutchison
(New Zealand)

1. Search engines don't find out virtual hosts

Hi,

We are running Apache on an Alphastation with DECUNIX.

We have set up a couple of virtual-hosts under our default server for an
allied organisation. They complain that they can't get these hosts to be
found by search engines.
Could this be something to do with our Apache configuration (not
*allowing* something) or is it more likely just the way search engines
work....

Our  default host is www.civil.canterbury.ac.nz  and www.sesoc.org.nz is
a virtual host...the ip is 132.181.70.1

The virtual host block from our httpd.conf file is reproduced at the end
of this message.

I have RTFM but one seems to need to have a pretty good understanding of
it all to glean much from the manual

Thanks for yur help

Brandon Hutchison
Civil Eng. Dept, University of Canterbury

<VirtualHost 132.181.70.1>

    DocumentRoot /appl/www/web
    ServerName www.civil.canterbury.ac.nz
    ErrorLog logs/error_log
    CustomLog logs/access_log common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 132.181.70.1>

    DocumentRoot /appl/www/web/SESOC
    ServerName www.sesoc.org.nz
    ErrorLog logs/sesoc-error_log
    CustomLog logs/sesoc-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

2. 3Com 3C905B-TX runs at 10M instead of 100M

3. Find me an open source PPC Search Engine and I'll pay you!

4. xcdplayer-2.2 on Solaris?

5. MRouted and dynamic interfaces

6. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

7. Microsoft - data-snooping corporate Big Brother (of the NWO?)

8. Internet Rank Engine-the next generation of search engines

9. recommend a 'local' search engine?

10. Apache Virtual Servers and Lycos search engines

11. Name Based Hosting and Search Engines

12. .htaccess Apache Virtual host Won't Work