GNNServer vs. Netscape Comm Server

Post by Jon Ru » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

Any thoughts? I've got a brand new SGI just itchin to be a web server.
I've installed both, and am currently playing with them, but I'd like to
hear what someone who has used one or the other (preferrably both!) has to
say. I'm supporting about 90 domains and 350 users on my current web
server, soon to be over 200 domains and nearly a thousand users. The
current machine takes about 30,000 hits a day, but that will grow as well.

Which is better for the job?

Thanks,
Jon

Email if you can, plz

PS--

Netscape Comm Server -- $1000
SSL, no database

GNNServer -- Free
includes database and SSL

        Internet Access     of       Ventura County

Post by b.. » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

> Any thoughts? I've got a brand new SGI just itchin to be a web server.
> I've installed both, and am currently playing with them, but I'd like to
> hear what someone who has used one or the other (preferrably both!) has to
> say.

Try Apache or NCSA 1.5a. GNN seems to be an interesting product, but would
you really use something which has *no* support? I probably am not that bold.
In the limited support dept I like Spinner. Phenominal online group support
with Apache, and not bad for NCSA. Overall, I like Apache as the best choice,
Spinner a close second for it's interesting design and features. Search "Unix
web servers" on Alta Vista. bjh

Post by James J. Lippa » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

>Any thoughts? I've got a brand new SGI just itchin to be a web server.
>I've installed both, and am currently playing with them, but I'd like to
>hear what someone who has used one or the other (preferrably both!) has to
>say. I'm supporting about 90 domains and 350 users on my current web
>server, soon to be over 200 domains and nearly a thousand users. The
>current machine takes about 30,000 hits a day, but that will grow as well.

>Which is better for the job?

>Thanks,
>Jon

>Email if you can, plz

>PS--

>Netscape Comm Server -- $1000
>SSL, no database

Incredibly lame virtual host support; only one secure server on a machine.
Only one key certificate per server.
No source code.

Quote:>GNNServer -- Free
>includes database and SSL

No source code.
No support.

Use Apache/Apache SSL.
Comes with full source code.
Well supported and the most commonly used server.
Good virtual host support.
Supports multiple key certificates.
$495, $295 if you're already a Netscape Commerce Server owner.
(We're making the switch...)

--

Phoenix, Arizona  http://www.primenet.com/~lippard/
PGP Fingerprint: 35 65 66 9F 71 FE 50 57  35 09 0F F6 14 D0 C6 04

GNNServer vs. Netscape Comm Server

Post by Gna » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

I personally prefer the GNNServer of the NetSite servers. I have been
using the GNNServer since it beta days as NaviServer. It takes getting
used to how it works, but I found it much easier to learn than I did
Netscapes various servers. When I started using the GNNServer I had never
touched Unix in my life so I wasn't already familiar with one over the
other. As I have grown in the Unix world and with Internet stuff I have
found the GNNServer (especially in its 2.0x releases) much more user
friendly than Netscapes.
I find the built in connection to Illustra (once I got used to its
oddities) a very useful tool, and compared with the CGI and NsAPI stuff I
have seen out there to do something similar with NetScape I much prefer
the GNNServers Tcl and C APIs. That is a down side though, there are very
few places to get Tcl or C examples for the GNNServer.
As far as support goes. I know the developers of GNNServer personally and
they do everything they can to help their users and improve their product
accordingly, does NetScape? (not the last time I tried calling for
support).
I will admit that without the manuals it takes even longer to get used to
the server and you will miss much of the features, but they do, or did,
have the docs at their web site so you could either browse them online or
download them in multiple formats.
As far as SGI specific goes. I have an Indy on my desk running it, 4
Challenge S systems under my control, and know about another 100 that are
out in our computer room that are running it. The other 100 systems I
mentioned are hosting anywhere from 40 to 80 actual domain name web
servers. We found a Challenge S 200SC with 128MB of RAM can easily handle
80 virtual servers with minimal Tcl and database services. That set up had
no degredation in performance from a single server and still had 40MB of
free memory. With intensive Tcl and database use you can get about 40
domains with the same performance results. Of course sys tuning, more
memory, etc... always helps.
You can register with them (no money they just like to know who uses the
software) at http://www.tools.gnn.com/server/register/entryform.html.
There is an option on the registration form, second to the last question,
that lets you join the developers mailing list. This list is the best
source of support and information about the GNNServer. I also just checked
on the docs again. If you goto http://www.tools.gnn.com/server/index.html
(the home page for the server) there is an Documentation link, and it does
have docs you can download as well as view online.

David Whittle
Digital City

1. GNNServer vs. Apache - feature for feature....

I would like to know if it is fair to say that GNNServer is a
comparable WWW server to Apache. I am aware that GNN/AOL doesn't provide
source, etc. However, I am interested in graphical and remote administration,
and the integrated features of database, and other tools, which GNNServer
appears to have the advantage of. Being familiar with both the command line
and Xwindows, etc., graphical environments, there are times when the
graphical environment is a *great* timesaver. Anyone who has direct
experience with GNNServer and Apache: any commentary and insight is *much*
appreciated!
        Also, anyone familiar with the latest graphical WWW page dev. tools?
Most of the activity seems to be in Windows.

2. Vectoring mail

3. Netscape 4.7 vs. Netscape 6.2 BASE URL PATH on a apache 1.3.26 server

4. X Install Question (NewBie): Monitor Size & KDE?

5. Using the Netscape Comm server

6. sysdef doesn't show changes made in /etc/system under Solaris 2.5.1

7. Trailer file with Netscape comm server

8. HD can be initial within less than one second?

9. exec cgi, cookies and Netscape Comm. server

10. ?Multiple domains with multiple IPs on HPUX 9.05 and Netscape Comm Server?

11. Netscape Comm Server/Linux

12. Auth problems with Netscape comm server

13. Netscape-Comm/1.1 server log over-optimistic