Apache 1.3.14 installation trouble

Post by Jay » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 11:03:36

I am a bit new to Linux/Apache and the like...but things are coming
along pretty good.  My troubleshooting skills aren't very good yet
though and I'm having some trouble installing Apache 1.3.14 on
Red Hat Linux 7.0.1  .  I removed the previous version of Apache
using rpm -e apache.version and it's dependencies, mod_ssl and
mod_perl (I think).   Anyway, it should be a clean install.

I untarred apache, and attempted to do  ./configure ;   ./make  and
./make install, and everything appeared to install fine.  No error
messages, and a successful install message after the make install.

However, when I try to start httpd either via, /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd
start, or /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start, I get a message stating:

"Syntax error on line 206 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'LoadModule', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
./apachectl start: httpd could not be started        "

I go to line 206 (originally 207) and it's the section where the modules
load;  LoadModule vhost_alias_module libexec/mod_vhost_alias.so
being the first entry.  Everything _looks_ fine to me, I didn't change
anything.  I've tried commenting out the first module, and the error
just moves to the next module in the httpd.conf.... It's like it's not
"seeing"   libexec/mod_vhost_alias.so  pr any others... can this be the
case? I'm starting httpd as root, and the owner of /usr/local/apache and
all subdirectories is root.  All permissions and configurations are
default....

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?   My eventual
goal is to learn Linux, and Apache well enough to implement
Apache/SSL/PHP/Perl and MySql for our corporate intranet site.
I've gone through all the books I have looking for a possible answer,
as well as a ton of online FAQs...... Can anyone point me in a good
direction?

Thank you very much for reading this far!
Jay

Post by Miguel Cru » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 12:19:45

> However, when I try to start httpd either via, /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd
> start, or /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start, I get a message stating:

> "Syntax error on line 206 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command 'LoadModule', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
> module not included in the server configuration
> ./apachectl start: httpd could not be started"

Try rebuilding Apache after doing

  ./configure --enable-module=so

and see if that doesn't put a smile on your face.

miguel

Post by Kari Suome » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 07:17:57

Thursday December 14 2000 20:03, Jay wrote to All:

 J> though and I'm having some trouble installing Apache 1.3.14 on
 J> Red Hat Linux 7.0.1

Where did you get this?

 J> "Syntax error on line 206 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
 J> Invalid command 'LoadModule', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a

Create a new httpd.conf.

 KS

Apache 1.3.14 installation trouble

Post by Jay » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 13:09:57

It is my newbie duty to say ...Thanks!  That didn't fix me completely, but
it
got me farther.  I take it the modules aren't already enabled in
./configure?
I would have thought they would have been...but there I go thinking.

I am now getting:

Syntax error on line 224 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_rewrite.so into server: undefined
symb
ol: dbm_fetch
./apachectl start: httpd could not be started

I'm going to go and hunt for this one as well....my eyes should be nice and
*shot by morning, but that's what it's all about isn't it?  ;^)

Thanks for the help...
Jay

> > However, when I try to start httpd either via,

/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd
Quote:> > start, or /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start, I get a message

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 13:59:13

> It is my newbie duty to say ...Thanks!  That didn't fix me completely, but
> it
> got me farther.  I take it the modules aren't already enabled in
> ./configure?
> I would have thought they would have been...but there I go thinking.
> I am now getting:
> Syntax error on line 224 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_rewrite.so into server: undefined
> symb
> ol: dbm_fetch
> ./apachectl start: httpd could not be started
> I'm going to go and hunt for this one as well....my eyes should be nice and
> *shot by morning, but that's what it's all about isn't it?  ;^)

Just remove the Load/AddModule lines for mod_rewrite.  There
is a slight breakage in the Apache configuration for this module,
but you probably won't need to use it anyway.

--
Joshua Slive

http://www.veryComputer.com/~slive/

Apache 1.3.14 installation trouble

Post by Jay » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 15:18:04

Yeah I just figured out mod_auth_dbm won't work either.  Seems like sdbm
isn't getting linked in somehow.  After removing mod_rewrite and
mod_auth_dbm from my httpd.conf, httpd took off....   Is this a known issue
that's being worked on?

Thanks for y'all help guys.... this is a learning project for me, and so
far...
I'm actually starting to take a liking to this!  The *nix/apache/MySql/Php
combo is certainly a nice alternative to the MS NT/MS IIS/MS Sql/MS Asp...
Too many MS's sure can get expensive quick..... went from about a
$25,000 project down to nearly nothing.  Awesome...  Thanks folks.
Jay

> > It is my newbie duty to say ...Thanks!  That didn't fix me completely,
but
> > it
> > got me farther.  I take it the modules aren't already enabled in
> > ./configure?
> > I would have thought they would have been...but there I go thinking.

> > I am now getting:

> > Syntax error on line 224 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> > Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_rewrite.so into server:
undefined
> > symb
> > ol: dbm_fetch
> > ./apachectl start: httpd could not be started

> > I'm going to go and hunt for this one as well....my eyes should be nice
and
> > *shot by morning, but that's what it's all about isn't it?  ;^)

> Just remove the Load/AddModule lines for mod_rewrite.  There
> is a slight breakage in the Apache configuration for this module,
> but you probably won't need to use it anyway.

> --
> Joshua Slive

> http://www.veryComputer.com/~slive/

1. Apache 1.3.14/Php4/SSL/MySql installation

Anyone have any links to a site that would explain this type
of installation in detail?  I'm running RedHat 7 and trying
to integrate the above....however I'm getting confused as to
the installation of SSL (OpenSSL/Apache-SSL or Mod SSL).
I'd prefer to have PHP4 as a DSO, but any method that could
get me working would be appreciated...
Thanks
Jay

2. mount error rc:252 ??

3. PDF troubles with upgrade to 1.3.14

4. bootup error message

5. Apache 1.3.14 / Netware Perl/CGI PROBLEM, Please help!

6. Workshop as cross-compilers?

7. Help installing mod_perl on Apache 1.3.14

8. getting dump to backup files in compressed mode.

9. Apache 1.3.14 woes

10. PDF problems with Apache 1.3.14

11. Apache 1.3.14 Released

12. apache 1.3.14 - rewrite problem?