mod_rewrite a solution?

Post by flynhi6 » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:45:28

Currently we do html development on a development server.  Once the author
is happy with the html page, I run it through a shell script that uses sed
to convert all the "development" URL's into their production equivalent
(i.e.
http://chain/index.html gets converted to
http://www.veryComputer.com/

I have numerous name virtual servers that have links to each other in this
manner.  Would mod_rewrite be a possible way to handle "massaging" the URL's
so that I would no longer need to run the pages through the script/sed
routine?

I've tried a rewrite rule
RewriteRule http://www\.domainname\.com/?(.*)  http://chain/$1 R

and Rewri*gine On in the virtual server stanza, but nothing so far.  If
this is not the correct tool, (or method to accomplish this) are there ideas
on the best way to migrate test/development pages into production.

Thanks for any help

mod_rewrite a solution?

Post by Clayton Vern » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 06:29:29

> Currently we do html development on a development server.  Once the author
> is happy with the html page, I run it through a shell script that uses sed
> to convert all the "development" URL's into their production equivalent
> (i.e.
> http://chain/index.html gets converted to
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> I have numerous name virtual servers that have links to each other in this
> manner.  Would mod_rewrite be a possible way to handle "massaging" the URL's
> so that I would no longer need to run the pages through the script/sed
> routine?

> I've tried a rewrite rule
> RewriteRule http://www\.domainname\.com/?(.*)  http://chain/$1 R

I believe you've written the rule backwards
Quote:

> and Rewri*gine On in the virtual server stanza, but nothing so far.  If
> this is not the correct tool, (or method to accomplish this) are there ideas
> on the best way to migrate test/development pages into production.

> Thanks for any help

1. UNIX solution vs. NT solution for multi-user internet support?

We are researching which route to take for our enterprise system that is
only a few weeks away from design integration.  Granted the mechanism we
have come up with will work on both WIN2K and UNIX platforms, we need to
make a decision as to which OS is better equipped to give us what we need,
as well as what kind of costs are involved for hardware support.

Right now, we need to support 5,000-10,000 simultaneous connections for each
'source' (and there are multiple 'sources'), and hook them all to a single
database.  I can't give any more specific information than that, but we need
to find out if Win2K is a better solution for this general mechanism than a
UNIX/BSD/SOLARIS solution.

Does anyone have any samples or URLs that they could point me to that show
UNIX vs. NT for large scale multi-user support systems?  Anyone here
specialize in that sort of thing? (if so, I'll be happy to talk with you
more in private)

As mentioned above, the other important aspect is the required hardware.
How does a Proliant 7500 running Win2K compare to a duel or quad-processor
SUN box running the same 'system' on SOLARIS 8?  What are the hardware cost
differences?  Support?

If you could respond in this thread I'd appreciate it -- I don't have my
real EMail posted here since I'm not a fan of spam mail from newsgroup
browsers.

Any information on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

2. Newbie with a question

3. IDE/ATAPI Zip Drive Mounting Solution (my solution)

4. need help getting X configured

5. Apache: mod_rewrite

6. ircd 2.8.21 compile Problem on 1.3.59

7. mod_vhost_alias or mod_rewrite help needed.

8. how to dump a running process into file?

9. converting fake domain to PPP domain (mod_rewrite)?

10. HELP re: mod_rewrite and query strings

11. mod_rewrite help (maybe?)

12. Apache mod_rewrite URI->URI remapping?

13. Can I proxy SSL with mod_rewrite ? How ?