Newbie - Apache won't start and nothing in error_log

Newbie - Apache won't start and nothing in error_log

Post by Stev » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 02:47:49

I built apache 2.0.43 on a sun with solaris 8.  When I run apachectl
or httpd i get nothing and there is nothing in the error_log.  I
verified the logs are going to the default directory and filenames in
httpd.conf.  I set LogLevel to debug.  I tried httpd with the -X debug
option.  Still i get no httpd running, no errors and no error log.
What am I missing?  TIA  Steve

Newbie - Apache won't start and nothing in error_log

Post by Jim Hatfiel » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 02:53:37

Quote:>I built apache 2.0.43 on a sun with solaris 8.  When I run apachectl
>or httpd i get nothing and there is nothing in the error_log.  I
>verified the logs are going to the default directory and filenames in
>httpd.conf.  I set LogLevel to debug.  I tried httpd with the -X debug
>option.  Still i get no httpd running, no errors and no error log.
>What am I missing?  TIA  Steve

Did you try "apachectl configtest" and if so what did it say?
--
Jim Hatfield

Newbie - Apache won't start and nothing in error_log

Post by Stev » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 23:11:58

the configtest yeilded the following:

Syntax OK

Post by Jim Hatfiel » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 02:27:29

>> >I built apache 2.0.43 on a sun with solaris 8.  When I run apachectl
>> >or httpd i get nothing and there is nothing in the error_log.  I
>> >verified the logs are going to the default directory and filenames in
>> >httpd.conf.  I set LogLevel to debug.  I tried httpd with the -X debug
>> >option.  Still i get no httpd running, no errors and no error log.
>> >What am I missing?  TIA  Steve

>> Did you try "apachectl configtest" and if so what did it say?

>the configtest yeilded the following:

>Syntax OK

Well that's exhausted the simple tests!
You did start it with "apachectl start" and not just apachectl?
--
Jim Hatfield

Post by Stev » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 01:59:35

> >> Did you try "apachectl configtest" and if so what did it say?

> >the configtest yeilded the following:

> >Syntax OK

> Well that's exhausted the simple tests!
> You did start it with "apachectl start" and not just apachectl?

Yes, I started it with ./apachectl start form the root logon.

Post by ger.. » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 05:23:37

> [...]

If you say so.
We may assume that you are looking in /usr/local/apache2/logs??

Quote:>> >> >verified the logs are going to the default directory and filenames in

Hmm
/usr/local/apache2/bin # ./httpd -X debug
Usage: ./httpd [-D name] [-d directory] [-f file]
               [-C "directive"] [-c "directive"]
               [-k start|restart|graceful|stop]
               [-v] [-V] [-h] [-l] [-L] [-t]

>> >the configtest yeilded the following:

>> >Syntax OK

So what? If your group isnt set to something other than #-1
it will pass but it wont RUN : <
Try setting :

User nobody
Group nobody
#-1

Instead.

Quote:>> Well that's exhausted the simple tests!

Post by John Wo » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:44:20

> > >the configtest yeilded the following:

> > >Syntax OK

> > Well that's exhausted the simple tests!
> > You did start it with "apachectl start" and not just apachectl?

> Yes, I started it with ./apachectl start form the root logon.

What user/group are you running as?  Try nobody/nobody....

Post by Stev » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:07:39

> So what? If your group isnt set to something other than #-1
> it will pass but it wont RUN : <
> Try setting :

> User nobody
> Group nobody
> #-1

Jerry,  What r u saying here.  I am somewhat new to this.  How do i
run it as nobody/nobody?   And what is #-1?

Thanks Steve

Quote:> Instead.

Post by Stev » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:09:13

> > > Well that's exhausted the simple tests!
> > > You did start it with "apachectl start" and not just apachectl?

> > Yes, I started it with ./apachectl start form the root logon.

> What user/group are you running as?  Try nobody/nobody....

John,  how do i tell what user/group i am running as.  I am logged in
as root:other.
Thanks Steve

Newbie - Apache won't start and nothing in error_log

Post by Stephen Etherto » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:33:24

Quote:> > So what? If your group isnt set to something other than #-1
> > it will pass but it wont RUN : <
> > Try setting :

> > User nobody
> > Group nobody
> > #-1

> Jerry,  What r u saying here.  I am somewhat new to this.  How do i
> run it as nobody/nobody?   And what is #-1?

> Thanks Steve

OK I have to thank you both for all your help.
I found the user and group settings in the conf file.
It was set to nobody/#-1
It didnt like the #-1 so i set it to group nobody and magic. It works.

Next..... figure out ssl.

Thanks again,
Steve

Post by Stev » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:27:40

OK I have to thank you both for all your help.
I found the user and group settings in the conf file.
It was set to nobody/#-1
It didnt like the #-1 so i set it to group nobody and magic. It works.

Next..... figure out ssl.

Thanks again,
Steve

1. Apache + apache-ssl won't start

Hi,

I'm running apache_1.3.12 + mod_perl-1.24 + apache-ssl_1.4.1 on  redhat
linux 6.2 (kernel v. 2.2.14-5.0) with openssl-0.9.6.

Everything built & installed fine & apache works fine with
SSLDisable'd.  When I SSLEnable with the following directives :

SSLRandomFile file /dev/urandom 1024
SSLRandomFilePerConnection file /dev/urandom 1024

SSLCacheServerPort logs/gcache_port
SSLCacheServerPath /usr/local/etc/apache/apache_1.3.12/src/modules/ssl/g
cache
SSLEnable
SSLSessionCacheTimeout 15

SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/etc/apache/apache_1.3.12/SSLconf/conf/http
sd.pem
#SSLCertificateFile me.net.crt
#SSLCertificateKeyFile me.net.key

it won't start.

I made a self-signed certificate using 'make certificate' as per the
instructions (with the common name set to 'me.net'), and tried to
restart the server, and it reports that it can't be started, just after
its "Reading key for server me.net:80".  There is nothing in the server
error log  or ssl log or in /var/messages.  I also tried making a
certificate & seperate key using openssl and the instructions on the
apache-ssl site, with the commented out directives above, and still no
secure server!

Any ideas what could be going on? (I even strace'd httpsd and found
nothing useful)

Cheers

Steve

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Red Hat install on win95 ???

3. Apache error_log 'lost connection to client'

4. Munging text files into a database

5. CGI's won't run - Apache Newbie Lost and Presumed Dead

6. Melissa-Could this happen on Linux?

7. newbie problem: just after install, X won't start.

8. Any RPM for WindowMaker 0.52 on LinuxPPC

9. xdm won't start fvwm95 (Newbie)

10. Apache 2.0.46 won't start

11. apache won't start or dies quietly

12. Apache with Jserv won't start...