content-length not returned in some headers

content-length not returned in some headers

Post by Otis Gospodnet » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

hello,

I was looking at the headers some Apache servers return and noticed that the
server doesn't always return the content-length :(
I tried looking for a pattern, but it looks like it's random.  Apache sends
the length for some HTML files, and then doesn't for other ones....

for an example, try looking at the headers returned by something like
        http://www.dominis.com/Zines/ByCategory/

Does anyone know why that is ?  Also, this may not be only the Apache
problem....

Thanks !

Otis
--
eZines Database          -      <URL:http://www.dominis.com/Zines/>
eBooks Dominis Bookstore -      <URL:http://www.booksite.com/cgi-bin/zines>

Post by Drazen Kac » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>hello,

>I was looking at the headers some Apache servers return and noticed that the
>server doesn't always return the content-length :(
>I tried looking for a pattern, but it looks like it's random.  Apache sends
>the length for some HTML files, and then doesn't for other ones....

>for an example, try looking at the headers returned by something like
>    http://www.veryComputer.com/

>Does anyone know why that is ?  Also, this may not be only the Apache
>problem....

It's not Apache problem. It's yours. :)
Content-Length is not required. Outputs from SSI, CGI and other on-the-fly
resources usually does not have it. Because you output headers first
and than the body. If it's not static object, you don't know how long
it will be utill you process it completely.

--
Life is a *ly transmitted disease.

Post by Drazen Kac » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>> It's not Apache problem. It's yours. :)
>> Content-Length is not required. Outputs from SSI, CGI and other on-the-fly
>> resources usually does not have it. Because you output headers first
>> and than the body. If it's not static object, you don't know how long
>> it will be utill you process it completely.

>Uh, why do you think the page at the URL http://www.veryComputer.com/
>ByCategory/ that I mentioned above is generated on the fly ?
>I never said that.
>It is not, it's quite static :)
>So why doesn't the server Content-length in the header ?

I didn't say your page was generated on the fly. I said that resources
generated on the fly usually don't have content-length in headers.
And I also said that Content-Length header is not required. It isn't,
but it's nice to have it. I can't think of another reason for Apache not
including content-length if the resource is actually a file on the file
system.

--
Life is a *ly transmitted disease.

1. Help: (mail) content-length/type headers not set

Hi there. On my system (microport svr4) the Content-Length
and Content-Type mail headers are not set correctly (they
are left blank.) Most of our users use `elm', which sets
those headers correctly, but somehow rmail changes them to
blanks. Mail sent with `mail' or `mailx' also have blank
length/type headers.

This is causing problems to at least one site a user
sends mail to.

I suspect I misconfigured something. Any hints ? Also, I'd
appreciate for book recommendations which discusses the svr4
mail system.

Thanks in advance,

-Ade

2. Memory Problems

3. MH vs. Content-Length: header

4. Strange Reporting of Free Space on the HDD

5. mailx and Content-Length: headers

6. /dev/cua1 clueless.

7. Content-Length http header?

8. Questions about Ethernet Connections

9. Content-Length Header in Apache 1.3b3

10. dtmail and Content-Length header

11. mod_proxy - modifying returning headers, content?

12. Filters for Apache2 - removing Content-length

13. how to calculate Content-length ?