access restricted by password: problem with nested directories with different accesses

access restricted by password: problem with nested directories with different accesses

Post by Leo » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi there!

Here is a small problem i encoutner:
i have a Apache Server, with directory /admin that is restricted to user
webmaster
Recently, i have installed in this dir a subdir containing a program
that also interested the user root ( unix machine admininstrator).
(btw. this app is Big brother, you are strongly invited to try it )
In this way  i created him a http identity "root", with a pass.
I've also modified the access.conf:

# only webmaster access
<Directory /home/httpd/htdocs/admin>
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
        AuthName Webmaster
    AllowOverride None
        <Limit GET>
                require user web
        </Limit>
</Directory>

# webmaster AND root access
<Directory /home/httpd/htdocs/admin/bb>
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
        AuthName Webmaster or Admin
    AllowOverride None
        <Limit GET>
                require user root web
        </Limit>
</Directory>

But when i (web) try to connect to bb,;apcahe ask for my pass *twice* .
I guessed that Apcahe check the access for both directories.
I tried a few other configs, but none worked.

Any Apache Guru that knows how to fix that ?

Leo

access restricted by password: problem with nested directories with different accesses

Post by David Iriba » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I'm managing a Web-server using Apache 1.1.3 (RedHat 4.2), and i have to
protect one directory with basic text protection. I have done a .htaccess
which it seems to work, and a .htpasswd with the htpasswd program.

When i try to access the page the server asks for the user and the passwd,
but it never let's me going on. It always says that the passwd is
incorrect.

Please i need some help, maybe i have to make changes in the access.conf,
so i need some help on that.

Thanks in advance

P.D.: Sorry for the english. :(

1. Setting access.conf for nested directories

Hi--

I have researched this via FAQs, web, newsgroups,
docs to no avail.

Q. Can the access.conf specify very restrictive
access for /htdocs and then specify LESS
restrictive access for a subdirectory?

Using Apache 1.3.1 on Solaris, the following only
allows access by zimage.com even
though /htdocs/com should be accessible by
all .coms:
====part of access.conf====
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>

# Set up root to only allow access by zimage
<Directory /htdocs>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride none
order allow,deny
allow from zimage.erols.com
</Directory>

# Set up /htdocs/com to only allow .com access
<Directory /htdocs/com>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
order allow,deny
allow from .com
</Directory>
==============

Note:  I tried achieving this with .htaccess and
allowing overrides, but specifying a less-
restrictive subdirectory produced the same error.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. solaris8 and ipv6

3. Problem with HTTPd directory access using IE4 (access.conf or .htaccess)

4. system

5. Restricting CGI access in access.conf

6. Netra T1 crash by pppd?

7. Restricting access from network for different users.

8. Portable Unix machine Devices in SCADA application

9. Different accesses acording to the newsgroups in nnrp.access file

10. Different types of access according to the newsgroups in the nnrp.access file

11. Restricting user access to directories

12. restrict file access to only one particular user who enters correct password in web

13. restrict access to a file not a directory