"couldn't spawn child process"

Post by Jaso » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

We are ready to switch over to Apache but we are having problems with
our cgi processes. The error we're receiving is "Couldn't spawn child
process". Does anybody know what the problem is and how it can be fixed?
Will upgrading to Apache 1.3 help?

thanks in advance

Post by Dougal Campbel » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> We are ready to switch over to Apache but we are having problems with
> our cgi processes. The error we're receiving is "Couldn't spawn child
> process". Does anybody know what the problem is and how it can be fixed?
> Will upgrading to Apache 1.3 help?

This is most likely an OS issue. Are you by chance running FreeBSD or
NetBSD, or similar? Check your /etc/login.conf and be sure that the
"daemon" user is getting enough resources allocated to it. You might
also need to go through your kernel configuration to be sure that there
aren't any hard limits compiled in that are holding you back.

--

http://www.advicom.net/                 http://advicom.net/~dougal/
           See my homepage for anti-spam information!

"couldn't spawn child process"

Post by Arunas Salkauska » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Some simple questions:

OS?
Apache Version?
Have you actually done _anything_ to the conf files or are you shooting in
the dark?

- Arunas Salkauskas
High Point Designs
http://www.highpointdesigns.com/

>We are ready to switch over to Apache but we are having problems with
>our cgi processes. The error we're receiving is "Couldn't spawn child
>process". Does anybody know what the problem is and how it can be fixed?
>Will upgrading to Apache 1.3 help?

>thanks in advance

"couldn't spawn child process"

Post by lk97a.. » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Well I'm having samekind of problems on NT4 and with Apache1.3.0 when I'm
trying to run my Perl scripts... Everything seems to be ok, but still...
Help needed..

Ari P?yh?nen

> We are ready to switch over to Apache but we are having problems with
> our cgi processes. The error we're receiving is "Couldn't spawn child
> process". Does anybody know what the problem is and how it can be fixed?
> Will upgrading to Apache 1.3 help?

> thanks in advance

1. Apache 1.3.3 - "Resource temporarily unavailable: couldn't spawn child process"

I'm running Apache 1.3.3 configured with php 3.0.5.  I've configured with
--enable-module=info --enable-module-rewrite
--activate-module=src/modules/php/libphp3.a
and configured by access.conf and httpd.conf to allow server side includes.

When I try to access a page making use of SSI, I get the error message in
the subject line.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?  This damn thing is
about to drive me crazy!

FWIW, OS is FreeBSD 3.0

"There are 2 solutions to every networking problem - the
right one and the easy one.  Microsoft sells the easy ones"

2. Olivetti Echos P75 notebook - any good?

3. Apache: "Couldn't spawn child process" running CGI script

4. SPARCbook FAQ 23 november 1998

5. "couldn't spawn child process error" on Apache 1.2/IRIX 6.2

6. X New Video Card Help?

7. Intermittent CGI error: "Resource Temporarily Unavailable: couldn't spawn child process"

8. Linux-abi in RH 8.0

9. Getting error "couldn't spawn child process: "

10. Apache and 'couldn't spawn child process'

11. Why Apache says 'reason: couldn't spawn child process'?

12. StrongHold and "Cannot spawn child process" under Sun Solaris 2.5.1