HTTP packets on localhost

Post by Young C. Fa » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:29:59

Hi,

I'm running Apache 1.3.20 on WinNT 4 (though I don't believe the OS is
relevant to my question).

I'm wondering if someone can confirm whether or not looking at web pages on
my own machine through http://127.0.0.1/ or http://domain/ is handled any
differently than looking at web pages elsewhere on the Internet. If I'm
looking at pages with a web browser on the same machine as the Apache
server, are HTTP packets still sent and processed as they are regularly. Or
is something else done, and if so, what?

Thanks for all your help!

Young

HTTP packets on localhost

Post by David Efflan » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:14:24

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm running Apache 1.3.20 on WinNT 4 (though I don't believe the OS is
> relevant to my question).

> I'm wondering if someone can confirm whether or not looking at web pages on
> my own machine through http://127.0.0.1/ or http://domain/ is handled any
> differently than looking at web pages elsewhere on the Internet. If I'm
> looking at pages with a web browser on the same machine as the Apache
> server, are HTTP packets still sent and processed as they are regularly. Or
> is something else done, and if so, what?

As long as you do not bind Apache to a specific IP everything should work
normally.  It just loops back internally if using 127.0.0.1 or localhost
instead of using a hardware network interface.

But what trips up many people is that if a URL is incomplete (missing
trailing slash when not referencing a specific file), Apache will correct
the URL using what it perceives as its ServerName (which by default is
your hostname) and the internet may not be able to resolve that.  So
either set a valid internet ServerName that points to you or see
UseCanonicalName.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/