diff HTTP responses - why ?

Post by Otis Gospodnet » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I was just playing around with HTTP and some WWW servers, and noticed the
descrepancy (sp?) in what CERN 3.0, Netsite 1.1 and NCSA httpd return to HTTP
HEAD method....

look:

panther:~>telnet w3.org 80
Trying...
Connected to w3.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.0 302 Found
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Date: Monday, 11-Dec-95 00:51:19 GMT
Location: http://www.w3.org/

panther:~>telnet www 80
Trying...
Connected to panther.middlebury.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Server: Netscape-Communications/1.1
Date: Monday, 11-Dec-95 00:51:52 GMT
Last-modified: Wednesday, 15-Nov-95 16:42:23 GMT

So one returns 302, the other one 200.  Isn't that something that should be
standard ?

Thanks !

Otis
--
Djevice, padobranci i mineri grijese samo jednom

1. Why my https was no response on Apache 1.3.14?

Hi everybody..

I've install Apache 1.3.14 on my servers. When try to access the https,
the error was " The was no respons. The server could be down... ". I
have no problem accessing it with normal http. Actually, this only
happened after i change my httpd.conf to require client certificate.
Unfortunately, after i failed to access, change it back not to require
client certs, still cannot access.  Hope somebody can help me.

Thank You very much.

Regards,
Faizah S.

2. Help with sound on AL440LX motherboard

3. updatemanager : Server returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL: https://getupdates.sun .com/solaris/

4. Multiple monitors with one being AGP, possible?

5. Why flushing buffer works w/ http:// but not https://

6. gcc 2.3.3 on solaris 2.1

7. Setting status code in Http Response using ApacheWebServer and Weblogic

8. Washington: Open Source advocates disrupt meeting

9. Problem with Reason Line in Status line of a http response from Tomcat

10. slow http response

11. Howto rewrite HTTP response headers with Apache?

12. slow network response from telnet, ftp, http

13. Special response for HTTP/1.0 reqs in Apache?