NS 3.01 on Sol 2.6 won't kill --a fix

Post by LE Vanc » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have two servers running 2.6 and enterprise 3.01  Everything seems fine till
you get to a traffic level of about 2.5 million hts per month (100 + req per
second)  The servers will then fail to stop or restart from the admin server
and a kill [-9] (in the normal child-parent order) leaves the parent
permanantly hung waiting for an event that never occurs.  The server machine
has to be rebooted to clear this condition.

I found that killing the processes in reverse order works every time.  [I use
the kill -9 as I have another server that pics up the load automatically]   I
have not tried a kill without the -9 I suspect it will not work as the stop
script does that and the processes never exit.

I'll post the modified script or send it via Email for the interested parties.

L.