A server problem?! Our site URL sometimes doesn't resolve. Help!

A server problem?! Our site URL sometimes doesn't resolve. Help!

Post by Joh » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Our site frequently won't connect using it's domain name:
http://www.artgame.com/

but it always connects using its domain numbers:
http://207.114.201.84/

The support at http://www.virtuo.net/ (our hosting company)
can't find the problem.

It's fine for days on end then goes out for days.
(It's not functioning as I write this.)

Can anyone suggest what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
John

===============================
Frog Creations:
Marine and Wildlife Art you can wear.
Enjoy our freebies and fun stuff!
http://www.frog.co.nz
===============================

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 01 Sep 2000 09:50:22

>Our site frequently won't connect using it's domain name:
>http://www.artgame.com/

>but it always connects using its domain numbers:
>http://207.114.201.84/

>The support at http://www.virtuo.net/ (our hosting company)
>can't find the problem.

>It's fine for days on end then goes out for days.
>(It's not functioning as I write this.)

>Can anyone suggest what the problem may be?

What error do you get when it fails to connect?  Can nslookup find the IP
address when it is not working?  Maybe you have a problem with local DNS
settings or at your ISP.  If you can telnet or ssh to an unrelated system
when it happens, see if you can look up the name from there.  It seems to
be working now:

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: Netscape-FastTrack/2.0a
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:46:01 GMT
Accept-ranges: bytes
Last-modified: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 05:17:47 GMT

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. PPPD & MacPPP problems, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't?

We have people trying to call a Linux box and use PPP via MacPPP and MacPPP
seems very flaky at times.  Sometimes the user will get a connect no problem
and sometimes the Mac client will just appear to fail to negotiate a PPP
connection and drop the line giving a link dead message.  The scripts on the
Macintosh appear to be working fine and there seems to be no rhyme or reason
to when it works and when it doesn't.  PPP at the Linux end does not seem to
register an error, just a request by the client to disconnect when the PPP
connection fails.  The version of pppd is 2.1.2d and on the Macintosh side,
various versions of MacPPP and FreePPP have been tried.

Has anybody had any similar problems.  Tips or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Neal Maloney

2. This is really good stuff!

3. Sometimes the Euro works, sometimes it doesn't.

4. Linux as Wavelan<->Wire Bridge ?

5. Hmmm...sometimes it prints, sometimes it doesn't...

6. A regexp quickie

7. linux sometimes DOES and sometimes DOESN'T power off on shutdown

8. DDD 3.2 Requires libX.so.2 ??

9. SCSI <-> 1.2GB MO Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't

10. DNS doesn't resolve some sites

11. URL with directory without ending slash at Netscape comerce server doesn't work

12. 'redirect' url to different server HELP Please??

13. Routed doesn't listen to my router's RIPs (sometimes)