Apache 1.3.4: How do I password protect pages?

Apache 1.3.4: How do I password protect pages?

Post by Brent Boswe » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi, got my web application running like I want it to now (thanks for everyone
who's helped me on this newsgroup).  Just one question: how do I password
protect all the pages (and cgi-bin scripts) that belong to the application?

It's a really simple file setup, all files are local to the machine it's
running on, and even on the same file system.  I just want to make it where the
user enters one password, and that gives the user access to all pages and
scripts related to my application.

I have no idea where to start.  The machine is running Solaris 2.6 with Apache
1.3.4.  Thanks for the help!
"To Err is human,
       to sort of foul things up you need a computer,
            to really ruin your day use a Microsoft product"

Post by Joshua Sliv » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi, got my web application running like I want it to now (thanks for everyone
> who's helped me on this newsgroup).  Just one question: how do I password
> protect all the pages (and cgi-bin scripts) that belong to the application?

Use basic authentication as described in
http://www.apacheweek.com/features/userauth and make sure that the
AuthName is the same for each directory that you protect.  This will
cause the browser to send the same auth info.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/