VMS IS BETTER THAN UNIX !!!

Post by Dana Giulian » Sun, 19 May 1996 04:00:00

"VMS IS BETTER THAN UNIX!!"

I think that's what the sysadmin in my school's MIS office thinks
because the promised new UNIX web server ended up being another VAX
running VMS (we had a mac performa before that). In my small world of
trade magazines, how-to books, Power Macs and ppp accounts, VAX isn't
even mentioned when speaking of server platforms. I need a professional
opinion on this before I go yell at anyone in MIS. Is this a horrible
move? How will it limit us? Can we do CGI, Perl, SSI etc...? Can't we
run a flavor of Unix on the VAX? Please help! My college's web site is
at stake.

-Dana Giuliana
A Webmaster Who Really Should Just Find Another Job Instead of Deal with
This Shit.

VMS IS BETTER THAN UNIX !!!

Post by Tim Holme » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

> "VMS IS BETTER THAN UNIX!!"

> I think that's what the sysadmin in my school's MIS office thinks
> because the promised new UNIX web server ended up being another VAX
> running VMS (we had a mac performa before that). In my small world of
> trade magazines, how-to books, Power Macs and ppp accounts, VAX isn't
> even mentioned when speaking of server platforms. I need a professional
> opinion on this before I go yell at anyone in MIS. Is this a horrible
> move? How will it limit us? Can we do CGI, Perl, SSI etc...? Can't we
> run a flavor of Unix on the VAX? Please help! My college's web site is
> at stake.

If you are stuck with VMS there is a perfectly adequate (and its
adherents would probably argue superior) VMS Webserver available. More
info at

http://www.er6.eng.ohio-state.edu/www/doc/serverinfo.html

From here you can subscribe to a mailing list where you can get the
answers to the questions you need to ask.

You can run CGI, Perl etc. BUT I would not recommend you use VMS as a
Web server platform unless you have a strong VMS background (or unless
you have no alternative and are willing to learn!).

I have successfully implemented a CGI gateway to commercial Ingres on
this platform using Perl, but not without a little effort.

Tim.

VMS IS BETTER THAN UNIX !!!

Post by Charles Rees » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

>> "VMS IS BETTER THAN UNIX!!"

>> I think that's what the sysadmin in my school's MIS office thinks
>> because the promised new UNIX web server ended up being another VAX
>> running VMS (we had a mac performa before that). In my small world of
>> trade magazines, how-to books, Power Macs and ppp accounts, VAX isn't
>> even mentioned when speaking of server platforms. I need a professional
>> opinion on this before I go yell at anyone in MIS. Is this a horrible
>> move? How will it limit us? Can we do CGI, Perl, SSI etc...? Can't we
>> run a flavor of Unix on the VAX? Please help! My college's web site is
>> at stake.

>If you are stuck with VMS there is a perfectly adequate (and its
>adherents would probably argue superior) VMS Webserver available. More
>info at

>http://www.er6.eng.ohio-state.edu/www/doc/serverinfo.html

>From here you can subscribe to a mailing list where you can get the
>answers to the questions you need to ask.

>You can run CGI, Perl etc. BUT I would not recommend you use VMS as a
>Web server platform unless you have a strong VMS background (or unless
>you have no alternative and are willing to learn!).

>I have successfully implemented a CGI gateway to commercial Ingres on
>this platform using Perl, but not without a little effort.

>Tim.

Why not run Ultrix (DECs version of UNIX) on the VAX?

--
Signature anit-virus (anti '666' by Bill)
---------------------------  Cut here ----------------------------

----------------------------------------  Cut here ---------------
Copy into your signature to prevent infection by signature viruses.
If you like this program, send $5.00 to:

Dr. Charles Reese      |  Only checks drawn on banks
Chemistry Dept.        |  authorized by me will be accepted.
Duke University        |  Email for instructions.
Durham, NC  27710      |

VMS IS BETTER THAN UNIX !!!

Post by Robert G. Rittenhous » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

> "VMS IS BETTER THAN UNIX!!"

> I think that's what the sysadmin in my school's MIS office thinks
> because the promised new UNIX web server ended up being another VAX
> running VMS (we had a mac performa before that).

VMS will work. The Region 6 Server is really quite good and you can
also run Perl, CGI etc. Found at
http://www.er6.eng.ohio-state.edu/www/doc/serverinfo.html

VMS would not be my first choice as an internet server platform
(3rd after Un*x and Windows NT) However, if you are a VMS shop
then not having to support another OS might be a major consideration.
Are YOU willing to administer a Unix based system?

Don't know why you'd get a VAX and not an Alpha though.

VMS IS BETTER THAN UNIX !!!

Post by Frank C Smit » Sun, 26 May 1996 04:00:00

> >> "VMS IS BETTER THAN UNIX!!"

> >> I think that's what the sysadmin in my school's MIS office thinks
> >> because the promised new UNIX web server ended up being another VAX
> >> running VMS (we had a mac performa before that). In my small world of
> >> trade magazines, how-to books, Power Macs and ppp accounts, VAX isn't
> >> even mentioned when speaking of server platforms. I need a professional
> >> opinion on this before I go yell at anyone in MIS. Is this a horrible
> >> move? How will it limit us? Can we do CGI, Perl, SSI etc...? Can't we
> >> run a flavor of Unix on the VAX? Please help! My college's web site is
> >> at stake.

> >If you are stuck with VMS there is a perfectly adequate (and its
> >adherents would probably argue superior) VMS Webserver available. More
> >info at

> >http://www.er6.eng.ohio-state.edu/www/doc/serverinfo.html

> >From here you can subscribe to a mailing list where you can get the
> >answers to the questions you need to ask.

> >You can run CGI, Perl etc. BUT I would not recommend you use VMS as a
> >Web server platform unless you have a strong VMS background (or unless
> >you have no alternative and are willing to learn!).

> >I have successfully implemented a CGI gateway to commercial Ingres on
> >this platform using Perl, but not without a little effort.

> >Tim.

> Why not run Ultrix (DECs version of UNIX) on the VAX?

> --
> Signature anit-virus (anti '666' by Bill)
> ---------------------------  Cut here ----------------------------

> Copy into your signature to prevent infection by signature viruses.
> If you like this program, send $5.00 to:

> Dr. Charles Reese      |  Only checks drawn on banks
> Chemistry Dept.        |  authorized by me will be accepted.
> Duke University        |  Email for instructions.
> Durham, NC  27710      |vms is a great platform dec just blew the marketing end of it ... i use

tgv multinet on mine and can do things ... such as web cluster fail-over
that unix only dreams of doing ... but its a harder platform than unix
to find tools for...