downloading files w. APACHE

Post by Jan Schwar » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi guys and girls,

I have a problem with my apache-server: the download of files isn't done
correctly. I have some links on my pages pointing to selfextracting
MSDOS-executables (*.exe). I have tried different links in the form:

<A HREF="msdosfile.exe">...</A>
<A HREF="http://myserver.mydomain.de/ftp/msdosfile.exe"...
<A HREF="ftp://ftp.mydomain.de/ftpdir/msdosfile.exe"...
and some others.
The file is downloaded and displayed in ASCII-format and one has to klick on
"SAVE AS..." within the browser. There must be an easy way to download files
automaticly, without displaying and confirming it.
(FTP-support is compiled in and I think the MIME-types are o.k. ...)

please help me,

            Jan

downloading files w. APACHE

Post by TeeJa » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Hi guys and girls,

> I have a problem with my apache-server: the download of files isn't done
> correctly. I have some links on my pages pointing to selfextracting
> MSDOS-executables (*.exe). I have tried different links in the form:

It's (naturally) not Apache but the browser that's doing things wrong. Try
to take a look at that and what the browser tries to do with .exe files
(MIME: application/octet-stream or something like that), you'll have to
change something there.

TeeJay signing off while saying:
                      "Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux"

downloading files w. APACHE

Post by Ralf S. Engelscha » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a problem with my apache-server: the download of files isn't done
> correctly. I have some links on my pages pointing to selfextracting
> MSDOS-executables (*.exe). I have tried different links in the form:
> <A HREF="msdosfile.exe">...</A>
> <A HREF="http://myserver.mydomain.de/ftp/msdosfile.exe"...
> <A HREF="ftp://ftp.mydomain.de/ftpdir/msdosfile.exe"...
> and some others.
> The file is downloaded and displayed in ASCII-format and one has to klick on
> "SAVE AS..." within the browser. There must be an easy way to download files
> automaticly, without displaying and confirming it.
> (FTP-support is compiled in and I think the MIME-types are o.k. ...)

Usually, to force a browser to automatically use or start-up
its "SAVE AS" feature you have two possibilities:

    1. Your msdosfile.exe gets send with a
       MIME-type your browser doesn't know. This (at least for Netscape and
       Lynx) causes the "SAVE AS" feature to start (in Netscape the "save as"
       window pops up, in Lynx, a question line appears).
       (NOT VERY GOOD, BECAUSE NOT EVERY BROWSER HAS THE SAME CONFIG!)

    2. Your msdosfile.exe gets send with a
       MIME-type "application/octed-stream". This type is usually used for
       such downloads hence the browser will not display it. Instead it
       starts its "SAVE AS" feature....
       (BETTER, BECAUSE THIS MIME-TYPE IS NOT FOR DISPLAY!)

Greetings,
--

                                        Ralf S. Engelschall

                                        http://www.engelschall.com/~rse

downloading files w. APACHE

Post by Leslie Mikese » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>> Hi guys and girls,

>> I have a problem with my apache-server: the download of files isn't done
>> correctly. I have some links on my pages pointing to selfextracting
>> MSDOS-executables (*.exe). I have tried different links in the form:

>It's (naturally) not Apache but the browser that's doing things wrong. Try
>to take a look at that and what the browser tries to do with .exe files
>(MIME: application/octet-stream or something like that), you'll have to
>change something there.

I don't think the exe extension is mentioned in the default installation
of the mime.types (but I may have inherited mine from an older NCSA
setup).  If your default type is text, the browser is doing what it
is supposed to.  Fix it by adding the exe type to the mime.types file
in the server conf directory.

Les Mikesell

1. Can't get .exe files to simply download (Apache 1.2.4 on Linux)

I have a server which must run MS FrontPage extensions which requires that
the following entry be in my srm.conf file:

AddHandler cgi-script .exe

This is fine except I need to have certain directories where .exe files are
inert for downloading purposes.  Is there a way I can simply deactivate the
above handler with a <Directory> section or .htaccess entry?  I have tried
several .htaccess modifications to no avail.

appreciated!

thanks,
greg

2. detailed documentation of iproute2

3. Apache and File Downloads

4. Expect

5. Netscape File downloads on Apache

6. Printer status on serial port

7. Can't download certain files using Apache on AIX

8. Compiled httpd wanted for SCO 3.2

9. Apache pops up download window for phtml files

10. Apache - downloading .XLS-files?

11. configure Apache Server to delay downloading files !!!NEEDED HELP

12. How to get apache to download a .exe file

13. Downloading files with Apache/mod_Perl/CGI?