Announcing mod_tcl 0.1; Apache/Tcl Integration

How does this differ from NeoWebScript (http://www.neosoft.com/neowebscript)?

Post by Frank Ridderbusc » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Announcing mod_tcl 0.1; Apache/Tcl intergration

> http://www.sateh.com/mod_tcl

> Here it is, version 0.1 of mod_tcl, the Apache extension that puts a
> complete Tcl scripting environment in the most populair webserver. The
> module is a work in progress and this first version is far from perfect
> and complete altough you can already do some really funky website
> scripting with it.

Well, pretty neat. However, what are the improvements over
Neowebscript from Neosoft (http://www.neosoft.com/neowebscript). I've
been using Neowebscript for about 2 Years (I think).

So basically a Tcl extended Apache is already available for quite
some time, allthough with Neowebscript Tcl is not so tightly coupled
into Apache compared to mod_perl.

MfG/Regards
--
     /====                         Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG
    /    Ridderbusch        / ,   Abt.: OEC XS QM4

Since I have taken all the Gates out of my computer, it finally works!!

Post by Cameron Lai » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> Announcing mod_tcl 0.1; Apache/Tcl intergration

>> http://www.sateh.com/mod_tcl

>> Here it is, version 0.1 of mod_tcl, the Apache extension that puts a
>> complete Tcl scripting environment in the most populair webserver. The
>> module is a work in progress and this first version is far from perfect
>> and complete altough you can already do some really funky website
>> scripting with it.

>Well, pretty neat. However, what are the improvements over
>Neowebscript from Neosoft (http://www.neosoft.com/neowebscript). I've

Me three; that is, I also think it would
be most valuable for someone to write up
a comparison of mod_tcl and NeoWebScript.
I'd love to refer to it on <URL:http://
starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix/neowebscript.html>.
Quote:>been using Neowebscript for about 2 Years (I think).

You're an early adopter!
Quote:

>So basically a Tcl extended Apache is already available for quite
>some time, allthough with Neowebscript Tcl is not so tightly coupled
>into Apache compared to mod_perl.

                        .
                        .
                        .
"[N]ot quite so tightly"--what do you mean by
this?  There are a couple of senses in which
it's (partially) true ...  From what I know,
NWS operates intelligently and securely, which
requires a fair amount of sophistication in
interfacing to Apache.  <URL:
http://www.NeoSoft.com/neowebscript/sysopinfo/theory.html>
explains more on this subject.

NeoWebScript has a relative, NeoWebScript
Stand Alone, with two salient properties:
1.  it's NeoWebScript.  That is, scripts
    function identically when passed to
    NeoWebScript SA.
2.  It's stand-alone.  That is, it's
    pure Tcl, with no connection to Apache,
    so it runs under MacOS, Win*, OpenVMS,
Is that the "not tightly" you had in mind?
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

Announcing mod_tcl 0.1; Apache/Tcl Integration

Post by Smiljan Grme » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi

After experimenting with a few ways of serving Tcl-generated
pages on the web, a clear winner emerged as Apache/tclHTTPD
combination. Apache serves as a front-end caching server, while
tclHTTPD runs on its own (externally unreachable) port. To the
browsers everything seems served by Apache (you can even cache
once-generated pages there, but be sure to include correct expiration
info in the HTTP headers). This also provides secure comm (using
Apache-ssl) and fairly low overhead.

Smi

Announcing mod_tcl 0.1; Apache/Tcl Integration

Post by Douglas Ridgw » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

While we're listing web servers with Tcl embedded, AOLserver uses Tcl.
See http://www.aolserver.com/ . Haven't tried it, however.

doug.

Post by Cameron Lai » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>While we're listing web servers with Tcl embedded, AOLserver uses Tcl.
>See http://www.aolserver.com/ . Haven't tried it, however.

Philip Greenspun has, and has plenty to say
on the subject.  For this, and everything
else I've captured on Tcl-savvy HTTP servers,
see <URL:http://
starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.tcl/server_side_tcl.html>.
I welcome comments and amendments, of course.
                        .
                        .
                        .
--