Different pages for diff domains?

Post by Reshma Muchalambk » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I was wondering if anyone could help me send two different pages depending
on a user's domainname. For ex, if someone is coming from internal domain,
(*.internal.com) show them the regular page and for *.external.com show them
a different set of pages/directories.

PS: Server is Apache 1.1 and OS is Solaris 2.5.

Thanks for your time.

--mpm.

Post by David Richar » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>I was wondering if anyone could help me send two different pages depending
>on a user's domainname. For ex, if someone is coming from internal domain,
>(*.internal.com) show them the regular page and for *.external.com show them
>a different set of pages/directories.

>PS: Server is Apache 1.1 and OS is Solaris 2.5.

>Thanks for your time.

The universal way to do this is to use a CGI script for your primary
index file, then have 'internal' and 'external' directory trees with
the appropriate access control below the main directory.

The CGI redirects them down the apporpriate tree depending where they're
coming from.

With the latest NCSA httpd it's possible to set an 'OnDeny' so that denied
users get sent somewhere else, eliminating the need for CGI.
--
David Richards                             Ripco, since Nine*-Eighty-Three
My opinions are my own,                    Public Access in Chicago

1. Resolving different domain names to different pages?

Hi all.

I am setting up a commercial server and would like to assign multiple
top-level domain names to the same server, but have the default pages for
these addresses be different.

So if someone tries to access:

http:/www.knickknacks.com/

They would get:

http:/www.myhouse.com/knickknacks/index.html

If they type in:

http:/www.widgets.com/

They would get:

http:/www.myhouse.com/widgets/index.html

Can this be done using httpd or NetSite on a Sparc? I think that this
would involve setting up DNS to resolve to the same site. But you can't
read the requested domain from the HTTP Client header because it is parsed
before the HTML doc gets to the server. Well, I think.

Thanks for your help.

- ab

--
Adam Block

"Yes, quite soon now." - All of us
"Muddy water, when stilled, quickly clears." - Lao Tzu

2. virtual 8086 mode on 386 Unix

3. free access_log analysis program: page-by-page, host-by-host, domain-by-domain

4. Problem with filesystem full

5. diff -r return different results on different runs using DMA

6. Taylor UUCP Packet Size

7. Multiple domain names--->different pages on one server?

8. Linux client for Microsoft Proxy ?

9. one firewall routing different domains to different internal web servers

10. Q: Different web pages for Different browsers?

11. NIS using a different domain than the default domain

12. Different Web Page for different client IP address?

13. Making search.domain.com goto a search page not main page.