does Apache cache images by default?

Post by jurgyma » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Does apache cache images by default? or do i need to set a
directive.

as in, a page has 20 images.  user clicks reload, disk is
accessed again to server the page and images...
how to avoid this disk IO?

or do i have it totally wrong here; the caching is the OS's
responsibility? If so, does AIX do this?

using:
Server version: IBM_HTTP_Server/1.3.3.3 Apache/1.3.4-dev (Unix)
Server built:   Aug 11 1999 10:19:07
 on AIX 4.3.3

THx!

al-man

does Apache cache images by default?

Post by smarl.. » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Does apache cache images by default? or do i need to set a
> directive.

> as in, a page has 20 images.  user clicks reload, disk is
> accessed again to server the page and images...
> how to avoid this disk IO?

By default, apache does very little caching, and pretty much only on a
per connect basis.  To increase caching, you can either install squid, a
high end open source caching proxy, or you can configure apache to proxy
itself, with caching turned on.

Take a look at the mod_proxy module for more info on that.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Apache and image cache problem

IRIX 5.3
SGI INDY
Netscape 2.02 for IRIX

Problem:
In my document I use a perl cgi script to generate a random number
and display the corresponding historical photo. Using NCSA 1.4 server
this works fine. Using Apache (1.05 or 1.1b2) the same photo is
always returned. In fact it is returned so fast I don't
think the script is even being called the second time. If I flush
the caches a new photo is returned but it remains until the cache
is flushed again.I configured the Apache server as closely to the
NCSA as I could.

The call from the document is made using ...

    <!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/title_photo2.pl"-->

In srm.conf I have this...

AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .shtml
AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html
AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .cgi
AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .pl

In access.conf I have this...

Options ExecCGI  Includes FollowSymLinks
XBitHack Full

This sounds like a browser problem but why would it work using NCSA?
Any idea what might be going on here? Everything else works fine using
Apache execpt this, which of course is the one thing I want to work.

--
Edgar Kleindinst

NOAA- National Marine Fisheries Service

2. remotehost

3. apache causing us not to cache images?

4. RSA Licensing with SSLeay?

5. Apache image caching question

6. boot method

7. Apache Problem with Image Caching

8. Long wait at "Contacting Host" (Apache 1.0.3, SunOS 4.1.4)

9. Apache - preventing images from being cached

10. Default image when image not found

11. DEFBOOTSTR=dos should this allow dos to boot by default?

12. Apache Proxy -- cache statistics (%full, cache-hit-rate)?

13. Pragma "no-cache" and Cache-Control "no-cache"