Whistle InterJet

Whistle InterJet

Post by Phil Hasenkam » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00



Hello,

I am an "eleventh hour" volunteer participant in the upgrading of a parish
business office which will be utilizing the parish schools new E-rate
acquired network capabilities (fiber backbone with ISDN "Virtual Server"
access being provided by a local ISP).  The Network Server is a Whistle
InterJet (not sure of what model yet) and we're planning on installing 5-6
Windows 98 Pentium PC's for the office staff using a peer-to-peer
configuration.

The school is running a combination of Windows and MacOS machines.

Any suggestions, words of wisdom, or information concerning potential
pit-falls or technology incompatabilities or inconsistancies would  be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

 
 
 

Whistle InterJet

Post by Christopher Schul » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00


On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 12:07:50 -0800, "Phil Hasenkamp"


>Hello,

Hi.

Quote:>I am an "eleventh hour" volunteer participant in the upgrading of a parish
>business office which will be utilizing the parish schools new E-rate
>acquired network capabilities (fiber backbone with ISDN "Virtual Server"
>access being provided by a local ISP).  The Network Server is a Whistle
>InterJet (not sure of what model yet) and we're planning on installing 5-6
>Windows 98 Pentium PC's for the office staff using a peer-to-peer
>configuration.

The whistle does this quite well.  You'll just assign the windows
machines on the 192.168.x.x reserved ip space, and use the interject
(which should have 2 interfaces: on internal, and one external for
real network access) as the gateway.

Quote:>The school is running a combination of Windows and MacOS machines.

Mac machines should also work fine.

Quote:>Any suggestions, words of wisdom, or information concerning potential
>pit-falls or technology incompatabilities or inconsistancies would  be
>greatly appreciated.

Are you asking about this in terms of web server support?  I must
assume so, since you posted to the unix www server newsgroup.  The
Interjet is actually a small pc running a customized flavour of
FreeBSD.  It's got smtp, pop3, dns, http, and other services available
on the box.  The web server (along with all the services) can ONLY be
accessed and configured though Whistle's proprietary web-based
interface.  You cannot "telnet" in and configure via a standard shell
prompt.  This is on of the boxes greatest limitations.  It's also what
makes it ideal for non-tech-heads.  

But for a more technically savvy user, I'd recommend a sparc running
solaris or a pc running linux or FreeBSD.

--
Christopher Schulte

Replace usenet with chris to send mail.

will *never* get to me. I hate spam!